Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
cyclist
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To help unclutter NCD stickies, here are links to my first two posts:

<a href="http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=51474"><b>RBR NCD SD Gathering Day 1</b></a>

<a href="http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=51475"><b>RBR NCD SD Gathering Day 2 (lotsa scenic pics)</b></a>

Day 3

So, I figured with the gang going out on Saturday night, the 3rd day's ride couldn't be starting too early. Since I went out to dinner with family on Saturday, I had to call in the morning to try and get the details.

Figure Hickey would be a better bet than J's. I call him, no answer.

So I call J's and he actually answers. I'm calling around 8:05 am, figuring the ride ain't starting any earlier than 9. Since transcripts of phone calls with the J's is en vogue, here's mine:

g: Yo Jeff!
J's (gravelly voice and obviously hung over): Huh?
g: Jeff, it's Gregg.
J's: Who's this?
g: It's Gregg! What time are the guys riding today?
J's: Dude, they left already.
g: What? Ah, I get it...you're f'in with me, right?
J's: No, I'm not, they left at 8.
g: Ah. Dang. Okay, well....guess I'll just skip riding today.....
J's: No way man, call ATP, if they're still down in the parking, I'll run down there right now and have 'em wait for you.
g: Oh, man. You don't have to do that. What's ATP's number, I'll call him and try and meet up with them somewhere.
J's: Okay, I'll give you his number, call quick. And if you don't reach him, head over here and have breakfast with me.
g: Okay, thanks J. If I don't catch them, we'll definitely grab breakfast.

Long story short....I end up hooking up with ATPs ride, about 6 miles in. J's and ATP apparently stayed out longer than everyone else and went to like 9 bars. Dang, I always miss the good stuff. Once again, I would NOT be riding with the J's.

I drive to a spot ahead of them, and hook up with ATP, Svend, Mapei and Il Sogno, bigbill, Len J, and mickey-mac for a 28 miler (40 for them). A mellower pace today (thankfully) that takes us up to and through the UCSD campus, along the coast, and up to Fletcher Cove. We rode right by some big golf tournament. I guess Tiger won in a shootout or somethin' like that.

1.) On the UCSD campus
2.) Svend (on Cervelo) and mickey-mac
3.) bigbill's Pegoretti
4.) close-up of Len J's head tube

·
cyclist
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The Second RoadBikeReview Gathering was an awesome success! I got to ride for 3 days straight, through some of the nicest scenery and awesome SoCal weather. Again, many thanks to atpjunkie, for making all of this happen. It's an awesome town you got here, and the year round riding is seriously killer. And to J's for being the REAL reason everyone wanted to come to the Gathering ("Yeah, I want to ride and all that, but mainly I came to see if J's is really J's"). And best of all, I got to meet and chat with some of the nicest people, who share one common Passion. People who I would have struggled to call acquaintances, I now call friends. Further proof that not everyone you meet on the internet is an axe murder or molester (while, except for J's.... :)

Many Thanks to everyone who showed up!

atpjunkie
Svend
Len J
mickey-mac
Starliner
Mapei Roida
il sogno
rwbadley
bigbill
Dave Hickey
Snap Dragon
eddy
J's

Thanks for the great riding, jokes, stories, camaraderie, and Fun! A weekend I will always remember.

By the second day, everyone was already discussing when the next Gathering will be! Hoo? Tahoe, in June?!

1.) The turnaround point for day 3's ride, Fletcher Cove.
2.) Some pretty big waves, just down the ramp.
3.) Bike Tour Guide Extraordinaire - atpjunkie and bigbill fly the colors!!

(gregg's footnotes for the weekend: 1.Steel is real 2.Campy is king 3.There's a lot of rich people in San Diego)

·
Super Moderator
19,479 Posts
The Stats

The tale of the tape (for the atp/svend rides):

3 Colnagos
2 Merckxs
1 Cervelo
1 Strong
1 Tsunami
1 Della Santa
1 Pegoretti

Campy vs. Shimano
Campy - 7
Shimano - 3

Frame Material
6 Steel
3 Aluminum
1 Carbon

Clinchers vs. Tubulars
Clinchers - 9
Tubulars - 1 (me) :(

·
gazing from the shadows
27,208 Posts
gregg said:
Hoo? Tahoe, in June?!
Yeah, June 23-25, fri through sun. Details and begging for local knowledge (some already offered) later. One big ride saturday, one alternate "ride real slow with no climbs cause that is what hoo is doing" the same day. Other activities open, including hiking, hot tubing, boozing, gambling, and various other things as desired.

Tune back in March or April for initial planning.

·
Super Moderator
19,479 Posts
gregg said:
And to J's for being the REAL reason everyone wanted to come to the Gathering ("Yeah, I want to ride and all that, but mainly I came to see if J's is really J's"). And best of all, I got to meet and chat with some of the nicest people, who share one common Passion. People who I would have struggled to call acquaintances, I now call friends. Further proof that not everyone you meet on the internet is an axe murder or molester (while, except for J's.... :)

(gregg's footnotes for the weekend: 1.Steel is real 2.Campy is king 3.There's a lot of rich people in San Diego)
Couple more notes for the ladies. This ride took us by Brad Pitt's house. I didn't have a camera on me and the guys barely had any interest in it (other than talking about the politics of SD real estate wars).

Saw an adonis-like surfer dude (holy cow!) waiting to cross the street at a stoplight. Same thing - none of the guys even noticed him much less seemed interested in snapping a pic of him. :mad:

One more note: For those who are into the cult of the J's, he is even more J's than you can imagine! :)

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
il sogno said:
The tale of the tape (for the atp/svend rides):

3 Colnagos
2 Merckxs
1 Cervelo
1 Strong
1 Tsunami
1 Della Santa
1 Pegoretti

Campy vs. Shimano
Campy - 7
Shimano - 3

Frame Material
6 Steel
3 Aluminum
1 Carbon

Clinchers vs. Tubulars
Clinchers - 9
Tubulars - 1 (me) :(
Sounds like my 105 equipped Lemond could probably be traded for less than y'alls wheelsets. Nice collection of machinery everyone. I'm now jealous of your riding locale and your rides.

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
My 35 lb boat anchor would have made you drool too......... :rolleyes: :D

handsomerob said:
Sounds like my 105 equipped Lemond could probably be traded for less than y'alls wheelsets. Nice collection of machinery everyone. I'm now jealous of your riding locale and your rides.

·
The Original and The Best
1,294 Posts
handsomerob said:
My Frankenstein Shimagnolo LeMond made it on the ride, too! OK, well, it didn't make it on the big rides, but that was because of the hamster, not the wheel... :eek:

·
Super Moderator
19,479 Posts
Actually a two or three of the guys had Chorus grouppos. And there were Mavic parts on some of the bikes - maybe atp's?

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
atp rides Mavic brakes

cause they stop his big a$$ bettah!!!!! no offense to the Campy-philes, but a big man's gotta do what a big man's gotta do. besides my record calipers looked sweet on my wife's nag. Sogno, just your size too!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
19,479 Posts
atpjunkie said:
cause they stop his big a$$ bettah!!!!! no offense to the Campy-philes, but a big man's gotta do what a big man's gotta do. besides my record calipers looked sweet on my wife's nag. Sogno, just your size too!!!!!
Jeebus, what a beautiful bike! 49cm, right? I hope Mrs. Junkie appreciates the liberated bike-buying man she's a-wedded to.

Holy cow...sweet bike.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
that was last years

Valentines day gift. I started piecing the bike together when she was pregnant. did it 'on the cheap' but it took about 2 years to finish. yes, it made her cry cause Mrs Atp knows nothing means love more (especially to me) than Campy dressed lugged steel.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
atpjunkie said:
ATP, what's with the bottle cages in that first pic??? :confused:

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
haiku d'etat said:
Small bike, bottle cages bump against each other.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
i'll try like hell to make this ride,...

1) if i have the $$$...

2) if i schedule off work...

3) most importantly, if it works around SN69's RAAM schedule!!!

i'd give a bazillion bucks to ride with you, Hoo baby!

·
The Original and The Best
1,294 Posts
haiku d'etat said:
Yeah, what is wrong with them? They look perfectly fine to me!!

Ain't you guys never seen a small bike before??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

(Sheesh, is it just me, or does my trochanteric bursitis stick out like a sore hip in that pic?)

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
eddy said:
Yeah, what is wrong with them? They look perfectly fine to me!!

Ain't you guys never seen a small bike before??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

(Sheesh, is it just me, or does my trochanteric bursitis stick out like a sore hip in that pic?)
you have nice toes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts