Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talk about an irritating morning. Our dishwater quit pumping all the water out of the machine so I called Sears to come out and fix the thing.So, tech comes out and pokes around with the drain valve by the sink. Runs a rinse cycle. Then tells me the machine is dead and that I burned out both pumps. About 1 minute of poking around and little else.

Now I'm an idiot when it comes to appliances so I just nod and listen. He tells me that he can fix it for 450.00 plus the 130.00 service fee or get me a new machine for 1200.00! Good grief, our dishwasher (GE Profile came with the house) must be made of gold. Then he says he can get me a Kenmore for 550.00, and credit me the repair fee towards delivery. OK, like an idiot I agree and order the washer, extended warranty, and pay for the service call. $850.00 later he swipes my credit card on this laptop thing and walks out saying the receipt will be emailed to me??? WTF??

Still, like an idiot I let him go. After he leaves my wife starts poking around in the machine and notices a filter in the back. It's all plugged up. So, one minute later the machine is working fine. :mad: I call Sears back to cancel everything. Two hours on the phone and they are completely confused. The card was charged but I have no paperwork or email. They think they cancelled the order but aren't sure and I won't see a credit for up to two weeks! The repair division is refusing to refund the 130.00 although they basically scammed me. The rep also refused to transfer me to a manager. She even said she agreed the tech scammed me but she's not going to refund the amount. WTF?

Anyway, when the credit card charge hits my statement I'll be filing a fraud charge against Sears. Unbelievable.

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
One word: DIY.

The wife always asks why I do this stuff myself. Nuff said.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After seeing what was on that filter I think I'll pass on the sandwich. Maybe I should mail the goo from the filter to Sears?

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I failed big time. I'm good with a lot of stuff but evidently I'm an appliance repair, ordering, anything dumba$$. And as usual, my wife is making me look bad. But I love her anyway :).

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Call your credit card company right now. The earlier you call them the faster all the paperwork will begin. Which credit card did you use? I know American Express is really good about making that kind of stuff go away.

·
haole from the mainland
5,962 Posts
You're probably on the hook for the housecall, even thought the tech didn't discover the unplugged filter.

But I'd go ahead and write your credit card company, along with Sears, as soon as the transaction hits your account.

·
Grey Manrod
9,227 Posts
We were having a "problem" with out dishwasher. It was leaking a lot of water onto the kitchen floor during the cycle.

Lesson Number 1: laminate flooring in your kitchen? Not a great idea.

Then I realized that the new dishwashing liquid my wife bought? Not for dishwashers.

Lesson Number 2: read the labels carefully.

At least I wasn't the one who put the wrong soap in........twice.

Lesson Number 3: Someone other than myself can screw **** up in the house.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm planning on it. I might not get the money back, but who knows. It seems like a scam to me. Send someone out, tell them the machine is dead, sell them a new house brand. I'm also worried about everything else. I have no paperwork whatsoever. Never signed anything for the house call or for the sale and have no paperwork to prove either thing. Argh.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Used my Mastercard. They've been good in the past.

·
haole from the mainland
5,962 Posts
Ridgetop said:
I'm planning on it. I might not get the money back, but who knows. It seems like a scam to me. Send someone out, tell them the machine is dead, sell them a new house brand. I'm also worried about everything else. I have no paperwork whatsoever. Never signed anything for the house call or for the sale and have no paperwork to prove either thing. Argh.
Actually, if the technician unplugged the machine, that might leave Sears with enough egg on its face to refund you for the house visit, too.

Be sure you mention that to Sears and your CC company: it could be outright fraud.

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
I sure hope that the Sears tech used some KY first before he ****ed you.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nope, pretty much a dry poke leaving me crying :(.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,288 Posts
Ridgetop said:
Anyway, when the credit card charge hits my statement I'll be filing a fraud charge against Sears. Unbelievable.

Stupidity is not fraud. And that will be the defense. "Didn't see it, was unfamiliar with the model, customer said X Y and Z which made me rule out the filter..."

Next time, just say "I'll talk to my wife about it." I mean really, what would a delay mean, a day or two of hand washing dishes?

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hoo, you're right. I was too trusting. I would think I'd learn my lesson some day.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't look back. Could be dead people back there for all I know :).

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Ridgetop said:
Talk about an irritating morning. Our dishwater quit pumping all the water out of the machine so I called Sears to come out and fix the thing.So, tech comes out and pokes around with the drain valve by the sink. Runs a rinse cycle. Then tells me the machine is dead and that I burned out both pumps. About 1 minute of poking around and little else.

Now I'm an idiot when it comes to appliances so I just nod and listen. He tells me that he can fix it for 450.00 plus the 130.00 service fee or get me a new machine for 1200.00! Good grief, our dishwasher (GE Profile came with the house) must be made of gold. Then he says he can get me a Kenmore for 550.00, and credit me the repair fee towards delivery. OK, like an idiot I agree and order the washer, extended warranty, and pay for the service call. $850.00 later he swipes my credit card on this laptop thing and walks out saying the receipt will be emailed to me??? WTF??

Still, like an idiot I let him go. After he leaves my wife starts poking around in the machine and notices a filter in the back. It's all plugged up. So, one minute later the machine is working fine. :mad: I call Sears back to cancel everything. Two hours on the phone and they are completely confused. The card was charged but I have no paperwork or email. They think they cancelled the order but aren't sure and I won't see a credit for up to two weeks! The repair division is refusing to refund the 130.00 although they basically scammed me. The rep also refused to transfer me to a manager. She even said she agreed the tech scammed me but she's not going to refund the amount. WTF?

Never buy large appliances without doing research first. For $600 or so you could have gone to Lowes and got a nice dishwasher installed.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.