Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have my bike properly setup according to generally accepted "fit" principles. But, while riding I find myself occaisionally scooching to the back of my saddle (the nice fat padded part), where I also find the pedaling a tad more powerful. I casually mentioned this to my wife and she says she does the same thing. We decided to pose the question here.

Now I could slide the seat forward, but that doesn't give me the slight pedal power that I feel and besides it would throw off the pedal/knee plumb line. The stem on my bike (08 Specialized Roubaix Elite) I had replaced, opting for a shorter length.

Thoughts appreciated, thanks

Bike specs: http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/...cialized&Model=Roubaix+Elite+Triple&Type=bike

·
I didn't even own a cat..
594 Posts
who's fit principles are you following? Was your fit done professionally?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was "fitted" where I bought it and I have read a lot about it as well. I am comfortable riding, but as I said I find myself scooching an inch or two back on the saddle.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
we call that engaging other muscles. We all do it. That's why the Ariones is so popular.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Moving around is good. I want my saddle placed in the center of my comfortable range so that it's possible to slide either forward or back to get more comfortable for a few minutes.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Funny, I do the same thing, on the same bike, with a short stem.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Just because you've been "fitted" doesn't mean that you'll still be making slight adjustments from time to time, especially as the riding season progresses. A good cycling buddy stopped by yesterday with a new ride that he had purchased last week. He was still making tweaks here & there after having the fitting.

A professional fitting is not a final say to where you will have everything adjusted. It allows to have the proper size frame, along with a general fitting of seat, handlebars & cranks. The tweaking is an on-going process.

Even the type & model of bicycle will be different, according to your riding preference. My Trek is set up one way, while my SingleSpeed is another because of a more upright, easy style of riding.

It is a continual thing of finding how it best fits your form on the road (or trail).....

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
move the seat further back about 1cm. do a couple 20 mile rides see if you like it there. if not move it back. nothing is set in stone. experiment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts