Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
I'm at 0.90

I set my saddle where it felt comfortable. Over a period of time I gradually raised it. Checking the height, center of BB to top of saddle I'm at 0.90

My inseam is 35" (88.9cm)

88.9 X 0.90=80.01 cm (31.5")
0.883 x 88.9= 78.5 cm (30.9")

Difference between two settings is 1.5 cm.

It probably makes a difference where you set your saddle, mine is in the middle of it's rails with a 73 sta.

Another method I've read about is knee bend. Some say 25%, the American Academy Of Orthopedic Surgeons recommends 15% for patients for knee problems (chondra malacia). A lower setting generates more power but puts great pressure on the knee. They say the higher the better, without rocking your hips is where you want to set your saddle. Flexibility makes it able for you to ride with a higher saddle setting, but I'm pretty un-flexible for a 61 year old guy.

I don't know how all this stuff works, I just set by feel and when I got everything where it felt right I took measurements so I know where I'm at it and when it comes time to set up a new bike.

I got most of this information out of "Training For Cycling" By Davis Phinney and Connie Carpenter. Phinney's setting was at 0.91, Connies at 0.90, LeMonds at 0.883, and who knows where Merckx set his. That's a clue that's it's one for all....

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.