Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
asking too much...

If you've been up and down and not experienced a significant difference in power output, this indicates that what other people say about "dramatic increases in power" is probably wrong.

Most changes are really a tradeoff on how the power is developed. Since power = torque x cadence, a power increase would have to be derived with an increase in torque without sacrificing cadence or vice-versa.

What you should evaluate when applying maximum power is the part of our body that fails first. If your legs burn out first you may be trying to use too much torque. If your lungs are the first to go, then you may be spinning too much. Either of these situations may merely be the result of selecting the wrong gear for the situation. I often ride 1-2 cogs lower, at a higher cadence than a gear-masher (at the same speed). What works for the gear-masher doesn't work for me.

My personal experience is that a saddle set too high will reduce cadence and cause the leg to apply force at an extreme angle where it is not efficient, at the bottom of the stroke. A saddle set too low will increase cadence, but may use the leg at an inefficient angle at the top of the stroke. A happy medium is the answer. My rough guide on saddle height is to be sure that you can drop your heel 3-4cm below horizontal at the bottom of the stroke, to insure a significant (10-15 degree) bend in the leg at the bottom of the stroke during normal pedaling.

Saddle fore-aft position definitely seems to affect the ability to apply torque to the pedals from my experience. As the saddle is moved further back more torque can be applied, but if the position reduces your cadence, nothing may be gained. Moving the saddle forward has the opposite effect. Anytime the saddle is moved forward or back, it should be moved up or down (respectively) by 1/3 the amount of the fore-aft movement to maintain the same maximum leg extension. If this is not done, then you are changing both position and the amount of leg extension, which can lead to confusing results.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.