Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it's a cheap, department store bike. But it's his bike. I took the seat and clamp off of the plain tube seatpost. I had to fix the seat clamp area of the thing so I could raise the seat up. The seat tube fell down into the frame. I can't, for the life of me, get the thing out. Suggestions?

I've already torn the crank/bearings out to try to get to it from the bottom bracket housing. There's only a SMALL hole down there. Nothing doing down there.

I tried bending a coat hanger to go down into the seat tube. That didn't help.

I tried tipping the bike upside down and banging on it a bit to try to free the tube so it'd fall out of the frame. That didn't help.

I REALLY don't want to resort to throwing the bike and replacing it. HELP!

· Premium Member
20,696 Posts
Is the seatpost tapered at the top so you could get some needlenose pliers around it?

If it's just a straight tube, maybe some type of compression plug like used for a steerer tube on a fork... than thread in a top cap bolt and pull it out....

I'm reaching here...You have me stumped....

· Rollin' Stones
2,641 Posts
Wd-40 the crap out of it. It is removeable with enough force.

· Registered
797 Posts
I have a pair of pliers for dealing with half-shafts and CV joints,,,, when you squease them, the jaws actualy open. Maybe you could thy a pair of those. An auto parts store can most likely rent or loan you a pair.

· RoadBikeRider
1,053 Posts
IF it just fell in it does not seem like it could be too tight of a fit. Turn the frame upside down, have someone else hold it for you and tap on the top of the seat tube (tap up on it at the opening that the post fell into) you know, like tapping the butt of a hammer handle on the ground to tighten the head...this is the opposite...can't hurt to try. Maybe use a rubber mallet at first and then maybe something heavier with a block of wood. Good luck.

· Registered
270 Posts
Try this

get the biggest (robust) metal butterfly wall anchor that will fit in the tube, get an eyebolt and mate it to the anchor bolt with a union, you will then need something to pull up on the eyebolt with (again something sturdy that won't break or slip) and pull up once you feel the butterflys engage the edge of the seat tube.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.