Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a new Specialized Roubaix. Its a full carbon bike with a carbon seatpost, that when set to proper torque begins to slip down after 20 min or so on the bike.
Any remedies?
Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
stevenb said:
Just got a new Specialized Roubaix. Its a full carbon bike with a carbon seatpost, that when set to proper torque begins to slip down after 20 min or so on the bike.
Any remedies?
Did you grease the seatpost or seat tube before putting it in?

That would probably be the first thing that I would look at.

·
Registered
21,525 Posts
Hair spray

stevenb said:
Any remedies? Anyone else have this problem?
As lousylegs noted, you might want to clean off any grease, though this may result in corrosion issues if you have an aluminum insert in the seat post. And Freefall may be right that a new seat collar would help. Another thing to try is to shoot some hair spray on the post before you insert it in the frame. Once the hair spray dries, it will help a lot with preventing seat post slip.

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
as kerry wrote, the hairspray technique is one way to deal with it. i've also read that people have 'roughed up' the clear coat with 220 sandpaper.

i've tried the hairspray over the weekend (new tcr comp w/cf post). it slows the slip, but hasn't eliminated it yet.

stevenb said:
Any remedies?

·
Registered
277 Posts
yes, the sandpaper trick - be careful not to sand where the post is above the seattube as it's rather unsightly. Heavy grit sandpaper works best.

·
Go Flames Go
5 Posts
Have you tried a torque wrench?

I just went out and bought a torque wrench from my LBS to try and solve this exact issue on my Roubaix. I set the wrench to less than the torque recommended by Specialized (45 in-lbs) and began tightening. I did not get to the torque when the head of the bolt snapped right off! There was no damage to the post, frame, collar or the dingle-hopper the bolt threaded into. Just took it back to my LBS and they replaced the bolt. Obviously it was a good thing the bolt failed before the collar/frame/post. I've checked the torque wrench against several other calibrated wrenches and it is within 5% of the expected settings. You think the seat collar bolt is robust enough to hold the specified torque? I have not tried again as I now know you can give the collar bolt a good twist without causing damage. Has anyone else tried to tighten the collar to specification?

·
Could be faster
282 Posts
i had the same problem with the Specialized Roubaix. Then i decided to get a torque wrench (cheap beam type) and that solved the problem. now i know what 50in/lb feels like. by the way, there was no grease on the seatpost so the problem was an inproperly tightened seatpost clamp.

boon

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
You can use Dynamic assembly paste. It's a gel like substance with fine plastic granulates suspended in it. The Tacx distributor in the US may have it (QBP).

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Drill a hole through the seat collar and seatpost and install a 1/4" bolt.

stevenb said:
Any remedies?
Or do the smart thing and take it back to where you bought it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts