Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first road bike a 58cm Madone 2.1 with H2 set up. I'm 6'2" 33" inseam. I bought this from an employee at my local LBS and got a great deal. He set it up for me measuring seat height, reach, kops and raised the bars based on my feel as I rode it. My drop right now is 10cm. It feels good and I just did 35 mi at the quickest pace I've ever ridden. Based on other posts there is no way I can get my saddle close to even with the bars without some high rise stem. Is 10cm too much drop? It sounds like he fit me to this frame but maybe I should be on a larger frame? I'm not a racer but am doing 300 miles a week. Just did a metric century on my hybrid hence the need to upgrade to a road bike. It feels good but are there any concerns knowing I can't adjust the saddle or bars in future? Thanks

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Ride it first for awhile before changing stuff, assuming it was set up properly. If you get discomfort, then start to address it.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
It feels good. Ride it. There's no rule about saddle-to-bar drop, so the only "too much" is what doesn't work for you. It largely depends on your riding style, and especially your flexibility. FWIW, some racers ride with twice that much drop.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Based on other posts there is no way I can get my saddle close to even with the bars without some high rise stem.
Don't know what you are reading, but this is total nonsense.

I'm about your size, have a 10-11 cm drop, and I'm old and inflexible too.

Stop worrying and ride.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I assume the "33 inch inseam" is your pants inseam? I'm 5'10" and I have a 33" cycling inseam.

There's nothing out of ordinary about a 10cm bar drop. I'm currently riding a 13cm bar drop and my stem isn't slammed.

Not comparing you to pros but note that Brad Wiggins, Ryder Hesjedal and lots of other pros who are about your height ride 56s.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I'm 6'2" and have a 32" inseam (pants, whatever the difference might be) and I'm very comfortable on my 56 and my 58. I have about the same drop on my 58, I think it's 11 but I should check to be sure, it's been a while. My bar has only one tapered collar piece on it going from the TT to the stem. I'd like to see if I can get a shorter one to get my bars a little lower since I can't move my seat. My knees determine my seat position and they don't negotiate. Pros use the smallest possible frame they can ride to allow them the most aggressive possible riding posture.

Put it in some miles. That will help you dial in your fit. Don't sweat it until niggles make you move things. Then, be judicious. Have a plan. Measure and mark. One change at a time. Methodical... Your bike will eventually break you in.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
At your height even if you had "long" legs, 10cm of drop is nothing.

Is it possible to flip the stem to a higher rise position? If so, you could try that.

At 6'2", you could fit a 58-60cm frame. I'd be inclined to suggest a 60, but I'd either have to see the bike setup or you on the bike to come to a better conclusion. The 58 is probably fine. Ride it for a while and see.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
To beat the "it's all about individual fit and comfort" dead horse a bit more - I'm 6'1", ride a 61cm and have a 12cm drop. If it's where the fitter put it, if you're comfortable... ride on!

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts
Q) What is the correct drop?

A) Whatever works for you.

Do you have any discomfort? Do you want or need to be higher/lower? There is no general right or wrong. It's a matter of what you like and what works for your body.

If you need to have less drop, the easiest and cheapest way to do this is tilt the handlebars slightly upward. Time: 2 minutes. Cost: $0.00

·
Registered
67 Posts
After reading several books, articles and having a proper bike fit I have learned that saddle-handlebar drop is largely dependent on your hip flexion. Our bodies are adaptable but our bicycles are adjustable. There is a "fit window" that you want to try to be in. I ended up with a drop equal to 11% of my saddle height after my professional BG fit. I recommend a professional fit and/or gradually going lower to avoid discomfort or injury.

Three things you should consider are: 1. Aero, 2. Comfort, and 3. Power. I think sometimes if you go too low, you are more aero, but at the expense of comfort and power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts