Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bringing back to life a schwinn 564 from the late 80's early 90's. I am having problems finding another seatpost. The post that is on the bike is a suntour and it has a wedge at the bottom, and a allen screw near the top of the post, that is used to tighten the post into the seat tube. The system is similar to a quill stem. The stem is cracked at the top and in need of replacement. If anyone is familiar with this old set up and where I can find a compatible post I'd appreciate it.

Terry

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
tpeterson said:
I bringing back to life a schwinn 564 from the late 80's early 90's. I am having problems finding another seatpost. The post that is on the bike is a suntour and it has a wedge at the bottom, and a allen screw near the top of the post, that is used to tighten the post into the seat tube. The system is similar to a quill stem. The stem is cracked at the top and in need of replacement. If anyone is familiar with this old set up and where I can find a compatible post I'd appreciate it.Terry
Yup. I used to have a 954 or 964 or 974....whatever the hell it was, and those seatposts were kack. You could track down, maybe on eBay one of those posts. Maybe better would be to have a machinist mill a slot, like that on a normal seat tube, and then you could buy a seat tube clamp and a regular type seatpost. Measure the diameter of the seatpost and that'll tell what size you'd need.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
tpeterson said:
I bringing back to life a schwinn 564 from the late 80's early 90's. I am having problems finding another seatpost. The post that is on the bike is a suntour and it has a wedge at the bottom, and a allen screw near the top of the post, that is used to tighten the post into the seat tube. The system is similar to a quill stem. The stem is cracked at the top and in need of replacement. If anyone is familiar with this old set up and where I can find a compatible post I'd appreciate it. Terry
What size pin is it? If they used the same diameter as Moser used, then you may be in luck as Moser were made by Campagnolo. I'm sorry but I'm not sure what diameter Moser used 27.0 I think.

·
Juanmoretime
2,201 Posts
Seatpost collar.

Is the seat tube top flat or close to it? If so, measure the outside diameter of the seat tube and then buy a seat post collar then any post of the correct diameter will work not leaving you subject to the propietary post.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Juanmoretime said:
Is the seat tube top flat or close to it? If so, measure the outside diameter of the seat tube and then buy a seat post collar then any post of the correct diameter will work not leaving you subject to the propietary post.
No it won't. Not without cuttng a slot in the seat tube to enable it to close onto the post.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts