Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· The Wanderer
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never discussed the issue nor seen it discussed, but...I've seen some Pro-Tour teams like Milram and Disco with the Dura-Ace aluminum seatposts. Most of the time I usually see carbon posts on peoples bikes except those few with a Thomson. Most component makers push carbon posts in their "top of the line" selections (probably because they cost more). I stick with my 32.4 carbon post because I've fallen under the impression (without any evidence) that the carbon in the post will dampen some of the road vibration. My question is what difference does the material make in a small component such as a seatpost? Are these differences fact or is it an ongoing debate with people as with frame material? Does a frame that offers a larger seatpost size have more of an advantage in some way as opposed to a frame with a smaller size post? Does any of these combinations (material/size) make a difference to the rider or is it marketing along with a lot of other things being pushed at us these days? Thanks...

· gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
most pros will stick with aluminum seatposts and bars, i.e. all of t-mobile use alu bars, apart from, iirc, wesserman.

considering the amount of time they're on their bikes, and the conditions they ride in, then it's pretty understandable.

they also use completely different saddles than the ones that we buy. they might look the same, but pro saddles are harder/stiffer.

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Most pros will stick with whatever is given them, unless it's critical things like shoes and pedals. (sometimes bars)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.