Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I'm teaching a class on biking, really basic introductory, at my high school for the next week. (the students get to teach their own classes, it's really cool)
One of the things we're covering is fit, and I was wondering how you guys would say the best way to describe determining seatpost height is?
I know, I know, it's a really really stupid question, but I'm really drawing a blank at how to describe it, and staring at my bike hasnt done much good...

·
Registered
74 Posts
I know the old rule of thumb is that your leg should be slightly bent when the crank is in the 6:00 position and your thigh should be just short of level with the crank at the 12:00 posistion.

·
Growing Older, Not Up
1,318 Posts
Since you're teaching an introductory class, I would suggest setting seatpost height based on the ability to reach the ground with your toes flat (heal up). Then make the point that as they get more comfortable with the bike to adjust the saddle in relation to their position on the cranks.

·
Registered
21,524 Posts
Two ideas

You can talk numbers: distance from pedal axle to top of saddle = 108-110% of inseam length (real inseam, not pants inseam).

A simple method is that the leg is straight when the heel is on the pedal at the bottom of the stroke.

Both of these are good starting points, and comfort will control slight ups and downs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts