Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering about the amount of setback in a Thomson Masterpiece vs. a Shimano DuraAce seatpost. I am looking for a 28.0mm diameter seatpost that gives me about the same setback as my Shimano DuraAce seatpost - it looks like my only options are the expensive Colnago carbon or the Thomson. I'm currently running a Campy Chorus with a shim and don't think I am getting back far enough.

Any thoughts?

Any other makers out there who make 28.0 diameter seatposts?

Many thanks

M_B

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
Thomson has less

mass_biker said:
I am wondering about the amount of setback in a Thomson Masterpiece vs. a Shimano DuraAce seatpost. I am looking for a 28.0mm diameter seatpost that gives me about the same setback as my Shimano DuraAce seatpost - it looks like my only options are the expensive Colnago carbon or the Thomson. I'm currently running a Campy Chorus with a shim and don't think I am getting back far enough.

Any thoughts?

Any other makers out there who make 28.0 diameter seatposts?

Many thanks

M_B
The Thomson has 16 mm of setback from the centerline of the post to the center of the rail clamp. The Shimano Dura-Ace and Campy Chorus are pretty close at ~ 25 mm, same as the Ritchey WCS. To get more setback you might need to consider something like the FSA K-Force Lite or Easton EC70/EC90 setback models. Neither are made in a 28.0 so I think you are likely stuck using a shim. That's not a bad thing, IMO, a carbon post in a carbon frame is probably less likely to end up stuck inside if using a shim.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Campy Chorus setback vs. Colnago setback on seatpostss

Thanks for the response - looks like the Thomson zero setback is a no go. And that Thomson setback seatpost looks kinda funky, frankly.

To replicate the position on my bike with the DuraAce seatpost bike it looks like the Campy Chorus is getting pretty darn close - does anybody know if the Colnago seatpost gives any more adjustability?

Many thanks

M_B

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Easton or FSA

The Thomson setback as previously mentioned, doesn't allow a lot of setback. However it depends on what saddle you are using. I can use an Aspide and get it centered dead center in the middle of the Thomson's clamp. I can't use it on my San Marco Rolls or Regal as I can't get them back far enough.

Another option is an Easton. The newer model Easton's have a two bolt clamp (al and C.F.) I have an older model EA70 (al) one bolt and it has 25mm of setback. The one bolt does complicate setup, but then again it depends on what saddle you are using and how far back you want to go.

I think FSA has a 30mm setback.

Ritchey WSC has 25mm.

No experience with the Chorus seat posts.

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
Easton 2006

Dinosaur said:
The Thomson setback as previously mentioned, doesn't allow a lot of setback. However it depends on what saddle you are using. I can use an Aspide and get it centered dead center in the middle of the Thomson's clamp. I can't use it on my San Marco Rolls or Regal as I can't get them back far enough.

Another option is an Easton. The newer model Easton's have a two bolt clamp (al and C.F.) I have an older model EA70 (al) one bolt and it has 25mm of setback. The one bolt does complicate setup, but then again it depends on what saddle you are using and how far back you want to go.

I think FSA has a 30mm setback.

Ritchey WSC has 25mm.

No experience with the Chorus seat posts.
Those newer Easton posts with 2-bolt clamps (EA70 and EA50 for 2006) do not look to have as much offset as the old one-bolt versions.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
setback measurement...

The common method of measuring setback - to the middle of the clamp, does not tell the real story. Clamp lengths vary quite a bit and it's the front of the clamp that matters.

A Colnago/ITM/Selcof all have the same 2-bolt clamp with the front about 5mm behind the center of the post. In comparison, I think you'll find both the DA and Campy post to have the front of the clamp very close to the centerline.

The FSA K-force has two models with more setback than the DA. The short setback model is about the same as the ones mentioned above, and the setback model has 1cm more setback. The official mesurements are 25 and 35mm.

Personally, I won't use any post that does not have a 2-bolt clamp. You'll need a shim for all but the Colnago post. You might be able to special order a Selcof in that size, but then it will probably cost as much as the Colnago.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Boy stay away from the USE Alien posts. While super light, they are not very fun to use. Trying to get everything right with your saddle on one of those is "ugly" And, after just a short time, the little fiddly allen cap screws become all buggered up..I finally retired both of mine in favor of the Thompson two bolt type and my butt thanks me..
Don Hanson

·
Registered
36 Posts
Gnarly 928 said:
Boy stay away from the USE Alien posts. While super light, they are not very fun to use. Trying to get everything right with your saddle on one of those is "ugly" And, after just a short time, the little fiddly allen cap screws become all buggered up..I finally retired both of mine in favor of the Thompson two bolt type and my butt thanks me..
Don Hanson
New Alien "Cyclops" post is quite a bit easier to use than the older two-bolt design. That being said, I still use a Thomson on one ride and a Campy Record on another. I actually think that the Campy Record is the easiest to use.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.