Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've made it to Seattle for my little trip. Basically working 12-14 hour days in my hotel room writing code and drinking coffee. It looks like my impression of Seattle (Redmond) will be the great Thai restaurant down the street and the inside of the Residence inn.

Traveling can be the suxxor. At least I can see the Missus with Skype a couple of times a day..

·
No hero that's understood
6,100 Posts
Why do you have to travel cross country to use a laptop in a hotel? Don't they have the internet where you live?

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
VaughnA said:
Well I've made it to Seattle for my little trip. Basically working 12-14 hour days in my hotel room on my back.
what?

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
q_and_a said:
Why do you have to travel cross country to use a laptop in a hotel? Don't they have the internet where you live?
It would take a long cable to connect the laptop in Virginia to the hardware in Seattle.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
VaughnA said:
Well I've made it to Seattle for my little trip. Basically working 12-14 hour days in my hotel room writing code and drinking coffee. It looks like my impression of Seattle (Redmond) will be the great Thai restaurant down the street and the inside of the Residence inn.

Traveling can be the suxxor. At least I can see the Missus with Skype a couple of times a day..
I've done that before. Was there a while back for some training and ended up spending my nights working in the hotel room...and you can't even buy booze to go in downtown Seattle. :D

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
VaughnA said:
It would take a long cable to connect the laptop in Virginia to the hardware in Seattle.
You're working on mainframes with no network? Crazy...

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Argentius said:
You gonna be able to sneak out on Saturday?
I'm hoping to take the redeye home friday night. If I stay it will be because I have work. I'm cramming for a meeting tomorrow afternoon. That will tell the story of the rest of my week. I'm hoping that if the meeting goes well I might be able to go to the zoo..... (John Hiatt is playing) But as tired as I am I'll probably hit a brewery then bed success or failure.. I think I've almost got my 40 hours already this week if you count the 9 hours of travel time getting here on Sunday..

·
Frog Whisperer
40,888 Posts
VaughnA said:
I'm hoping to take the redeye home friday night. If I stay it will be because I have work. I'm cramming for a meeting tomorrow afternoon. That will tell the story of the rest of my week. I'm hoping that if the meeting goes well I might be able to go to the zoo..... (John Hiatt is playing) But as tired as I am I'll probably hit a brewery then bed success or failure.. I think I've almost got my 40 hours already this week if you count the 9 hours of travel time getting here on Sunday..
go see hiatt...do NOT miss that

·
Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
You've got to get out a little.

About 4 blocks north of you is Sammamish Valley Cycle --(Home to Seattle Randonneurs.)

You are on a little feeder trail that connects to a trail that goes all the way around Lake Washington.

You about a mile from the velodrome -- Munchkinhead and I are going to watch the Friday night racing.

·
vexatious enigma
4,696 Posts
JP said:
You've got to get out a little.

About 4 blocks north of you is Sammamish Valley Cycle --(Home to Seattle Randonneurs.)

You are on a little feeder trail that connects to a trail that goes all the way around Lake Washington.

You about a mile from the velodrome -- Munchkinhead and I are going to watch the Friday night racing.
Ill be in the pack on Friday.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So far it's been so busy we haven't had dinner earlier than 9:00PM, which is tough with the time change. Even a few minutes to walk to a shop or two is out of the question. We didn't even stop for dinner tonight, we were testing equipment in the car at the hotel lot and had a couple of the sales guys bring dinner back to us in the car. Ugly carhops.. Lunch was a sandwich from the deli of trader joes because it was next door to staples where I got cables etc. I'm hoping to get out but definitely not expecting it. Ugh, I need some H&B..

·
vexatious enigma
4,696 Posts
VaughnA said:
So far it's been so busy we haven't had dinner earlier than 9:00PM, which is tough with the time change. Even a few minutes to walk to a shop or two is out of the question. We didn't even stop for dinner tonight, we were testing equipment in the car at the hotel lot and had a couple of the sales guys bring dinner back to us in the car. Ugly carhops.. Lunch was a sandwich from the deli of trader joes because it was next door to staples where I got cables etc. I'm hoping to get out but definitely not expecting it. Ugh, I need some H&B..

That sucks. Seattle has so much more to offer then Trader Joes.

When I was in Oregon last week, we would have meetings at meals. That way we could talk things over and be full of food.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
waldo425 said:
That sucks. Seattle has so much more to offer then Trader Joes.

When I was in Oregon last week, we would have meetings at meals. That way we could talk things over and be full of food.
Hard to write code in a restaurant.. Trader Joes was just the closest thing where I could get something for lunch and maybe some snacks for later while working in the evening. I was drive testing our product and went driving enough to see the mountains before I had to return. That and ThaI Ginger have been the highlights. I really want to hit a micro brewery and maybe a bike shop & REI before I go. I also need to get something for the Missus..

·
vexatious enigma
4,696 Posts
VaughnA said:
Hard to write code in a restaurant.. Trader Joes was just the closest thing where I could get something for lunch and maybe some snacks for later while working in the evening. I was drive testing our product and went driving enough to see the mountains before I had to return. That and ThaI Ginger have been the highlights. I really want to hit a micro brewery and maybe a bike shop & REI before I go. I also need to get something for the Missus..

Was that the Thai Ginger in Redmond Town Center? That is one of my favorite places for Thai food in the Seattle area. There is an REI in the RTC complex (just in case you didn't know.) SVC is an alright bike shop (not my preferred LBS but they have some nice eye candy and the generally expected things.) Mac-N-Jacks, the bigger micro brew can be found in just about every bar (if you can't find at least the Hefeweizen that is a sin) in the area. Of course it would better to go on one of the tours and taste the other beers that they have.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Touch0Gray said:
go see hiatt...do NOT miss that
Ain't gonna happen. Our meeting is over at 3:00 and the gates open at 5:00 with about an hour drive. I'm sure we'll be doing post meeting meetings and debriefings. And after the first few days I'm hoping that we can have a 'normal' evening since the meetings with the customer are over...

·
I luv riding in WA
1,148 Posts
Argentius said:
You gonna be able to sneak out on Saturday?
WARNING - That's a set-up. I rode with Mr Arg last month while in Tacoma and got a 2hr lesson on the effects of aging, gravity, size differential as it relates to performance, etc. Ummm, definitely not kode either.

If you get a chance to spin the wheels with him don't hesitate, his Tour de Tacoma is cool.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,883 Posts
Here I thought you were going to say, don't trust yours truly when I say there "might be a cobble or two."

Thanks for the words (and the brews!)

CalgaryDave said:
WARNING - That's a set-up. I rode with Mr Arg last month while in Tacoma and got a 2hr lesson on the effects of aging, gravity, size differential as it relates to performance, etc. Ummm, definitely not kode either.

If you get a chance to spin the wheels with him don't hesitate, his Tour de Tacoma is cool.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts