Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Big is relative
Joined
·
11,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did the Seattle to Portland yesterday. I rolled out at 4:45 from UW and got to Portland at around 4 pm. I ran my Garmin off a cell phone charger (Energizer Energi) so I have the whole thing recorded. I did the first 100 in 4:53, the second 100 in 5:10, and the final 2.57 in 11 minutes. I averaged 19.8 mph, 132 HR, 84 cadence, burned 17,600 calories (by garmin), and climbed 4995 feet. It was in the low 90's with a 10 mph tailwind so we just cooked on the road. It wasn't hard to maintain a good pace but I was downing so much water it was hard to ride for more than 2 hours without stopping to refill. Here are some pictures, not that great but I didn't have that many opportunities.

The start
rolling shots
Centralia rest stop (100 miles)
the finish out of focus and it captures of mayhem of exhausted people
beer
ferry pictures
 

·
Big is relative
Joined
·
11,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bigrider said:
So you did the whole 202 miles in one day?
Yes. I pushed the lap button at 100 and 200 miles. It was pretty epic with the heat and the tailwind that removed most of the airflow around you. It was like riding a trainer without a fan. The first ten miles are through neighborhoods with dark streets, potholes, short steep climbs, and parked cars. There were a few crashes caused by aggresive riders trying to slalom through slow riders. Unfortunately the slow rider was usually the one to hit the pavement. I just tried to hold my position and move up when the road was wider. I got in with a good group around mile 20 and stayed with them off and on until mile 140. The last 62 miles were spent with small groups or individuals with me pulling. There was a big time gap between me and the groups behind me. I was completely blown by the time I rolled into Portland.
 

·
Non non normal
Joined
·
10,183 Posts
That is truly impressive. The two hundred miles is impressive in itself. I have done 200 miles with a bunch of climbing in it and it was tough. But, to average 19.8 is flat out getting on down the road. BTW, I was supposed to be visiting you next week ( I was going to be in Washington) but my family vacation trumped the work trip.
 

·
Big is relative
Joined
·
11,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bigrider said:
That is truly impressive. The two hundred miles is impressive in itself. I have done 200 miles with a bunch of climbing in it and it was tough. But, to average 19.8 is flat out getting on down the road. BTW, I was supposed to be visiting you next week ( I was going to be in Washington) but my family vacation trumped the work trip.
I guess the pictures were a little confusing. The ride started at 4:45 saturday morning. I stayed in a hotel in Seattle friday night since the start is almost two hours from my house. The one day riders dropped their bikes off at a moving truck in Portland and waited for bus transportation back to the start. The bikes weren't delivered to the start until this morning so I stayed in the hotel on saturday night as well. It really worked out well since I didn't get back to Seattle until almost midnight.
 

·
RBR Veteran Opinionater
Joined
·
1,512 Posts
Thanks for sharing Bill. Still a bit wistful here. I started biking about a year ago, and 2 different groups of my buddies invited me to join them for STP. Those buddies both bailed. + I'm adding on to the house. Result = no STP for me this year. Did my Columbia Gorge ride as consolation today.
 

·
Big is relative
Joined
·
11,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
PdxMark said:
Congrats, Bill! I went down to say hello, but must have missed you. (I was wandering around the finish between 5-6.) Sounds like a great ride...
I was showered and sitting in the beer garden by then. It was hot, not PNW at all. The most frustrating part of the ride was the final 3-4 miles in the city. Lots of bike lanes and friendly cars, but the route had many traffic lights and small climbs that hurt at mile 200.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,525 Posts
bigbill said:
I was showered and sitting in the beer garden by then. It was hot, not PNW at all. The most frustrating part of the ride was the final 3-4 miles in the city. Lots of bike lanes and friendly cars, but the route had many traffic lights and small climbs that hurt at mile 200.
Ahh, I was looking for the RBR jersey. Ya, those last few miles aren't a bad commute ride, but they are a PITA at the end of a double. I actually dislike the whole last 50 miles of that ride... I found a much-nicer route once to get from Longview to Portland on some nice roads, but they include a pretty healthy climb (1500' or more?) and a crossing of the barely-rideable I-5 bridge.
 

·
RBR Veteran Opinionater
Joined
·
1,512 Posts
Green Mountain road

PdxMark said:
Ahh, I was looking for the RBR jersey. Ya, those last few miles aren't a bad commute ride, but they are a PITA at the end of a double. I actually dislike the whole last 50 miles of that ride... I found a much-nicer route once to get from Longview to Portland on some nice roads, but they include a pretty healthy climb (1500' or more?) and a crossing of the barely-rideable I-5 bridge.
Going the other way, PDX to Longview, on the other side of that climb is the only road that has (as of now) defeated me. Green Mountain road, going north out of Woodland. I stopped 3/4 of the way up, rested, ate, peed, adjusted my bike a few times, rode again, got off, WALKED a ways, rode, encoutered 8 BIG dogs (7 friendlies), and finally crested. It is a much nicer ride through Kalama, Woodland, LaCenter, Ridgefield, and the 'Couve than Oregon hwy 30, but there are a ton more stops.
 

·
Bacon!
Joined
·
9,193 Posts
Absolutely incredible Bill. I think I would have melted in those temps though.
 

·
Big is relative
Joined
·
11,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ridgetop said:
Absolutely incredible Bill. I think I would have melted in those temps though.
I think I did melt a little. I have felt somewhat droopy all day. I plan on commuting tomorrow. Lets see how that goes. I am taking the boy to the waterpark (in Seattle, seriously) on thursday so maybe I'll straighten out my tan. I will be the guy who looks like he's wearing a white t-shirt. Probably be a pink t-shirt the next day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
Congratulations on the killer time. You crushed it.

I left Seattle about the same time you did, but didn't get in to Portland until 5:30. My average speed was 19.0 mph so I obviously spent a lot more time off the bike than you did. You're right about those last few miles through Portland, some of those little hills seemed like someone's idea of a very cruel joke. Gotta like that tailwind though.

LS
 

·
Lizzie will ride free
Joined
·
3,156 Posts
Hey, that was fast. I did it in a leisurely two days with a couple of friends this year. I rode the Kogswell fixed with a big Carradice bag and fat tires. A very different experience. We stopped at an indoor water park half way and acted like kids. I got crushed on the lily pads.

Big Fun. Here are some "life at the back of the back" shots. Play spot the skateboard.
 

·
Big is relative
Joined
·
11,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
JP said:
Hey, that was fast. I did it in a leisurely two days with a couple of friends this year. I rode the Kogswell fixed with a big Carradice bag and fat tires. A very different experience. We stopped at an indoor water park half way and acted like kids. I got crushed on the lily pads.

Big Fun. Here are some "life at the back of the back" shots. Play spot the skateboard.
Your Lewis & Clark bridge experience looks different from mine. I got there around 12:30 on Saturday and it was incredibly hot. We were also on our own crossing the bridge in traffic and navigating the exit lanes on the other side. Doing it in two days sounds fun. I've done it four times (90,91,97,08) in one day and it always seems more like a race than a ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
Great photos! I rode the STP for the first time this weekend, and have to say, it was a really wonderful experience.

It was hot, far warmer than I thought the PNW would be, but certainly bearable, (aside from that long section of fresh chip-seal after the bike path)

I was especially impressed by the incredibly wide range of riders. Everyone rode this. Men, women, children, skinny, fat (some seriously heavy folks turning out the miles- wow)... and I met a man only a few years under 80 at the finish line late in the day.

It's a ride that really puts the world in perspective.

I was really impressed, and though I enjoy the idea of doing it as a one-day next year, and I'm certainly capable- I don't think I'd want to pass up the experience of riding with such an incredible bunch of people.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top