Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just stepped up and bought first set of tubular wheels. Now trying to decide on tires. Racing seattle series. Have always ranCXP33 with muds and will use them for the fun wet races. Looking for fast tubular for the grasser/fast courses such as kelly creek. Also size 30 or 32?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
635 Posts
rrbfun said:
Just stepped up and bought first set of tubular wheels. Now trying to decide on tires. Racing seattle series. Have always ranCXP33 with muds and will use them for the fun wet races. Looking for fast tubular for the grasser/fast courses such as kelly creek. Also size 30 or 32?
I run Grifo 32 or 34s on everything (mostly the 34's on the faster courses since they are mounted to my 303's). I used to use an older pair of Grifos/Reflex's for North SeaTac because of the rocks but we aren't racing there this year. I did run a Mud clincher on the front for StarCrossed last year though because of the slop. As for Kelly Creek, there were a lot of sharp rocks there as well so be careful. Grifo's dont hold up as well as Tufos but from my experience (with the Prestige & the Elite LPS) they ride & handle much better. Only four months to go!!! :)

DP
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,017 Posts
DPCX said:
I run Grifo 32 or 34s on everything (mostly the 34's on the faster courses since they are mounted to my 303's). I used to use an older pair of Grifos/Reflex's for North SeaTac because of the rocks but we aren't racing there this year. I did run a Mud clincher on the front for StarCrossed last year though because of the slop. As for Kelly Creek, there were a lot of sharp rocks there as well so be careful. Grifo's dont hold up as well as Tufos but from my experience (with the Prestige & the Elite LPS) they ride & handle much better. Only four months to go!!! :)

DP
I'll be running the Tufo Elite LPS this year because I picked up a couple really cheap at the bike swap. This will be my first year on tubulars as well. I have the 34's which seem to measure more like 30's though. I'll be running them on Ambrosio 32 hole Crono F20's with Chorus hubs.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
280 Posts
rrbfun said:
Just stepped up and bought first set of tubular wheels. Now trying to decide on tires. Racing seattle series. Have always ranCXP33 with muds and will use them for the fun wet races. Looking for fast tubular for the grasser/fast courses such as kelly creek. Also size 30 or 32?

I use ksyrium's with tufo elite's and love 'em. I would love a second wheelset with tufo flexxus.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,354 Posts
I couldn't decide whether to resurrect this old thread or start a new one. Anyway, I am moving to Ellensburg, WA--I accepted a tenure-track job at CWU. I'm going to have 2 sets of tubbies, and, since I have them lying around, one set Shamal clinchers.

Here are my questions. I am thinking I'll want one set of Rhinos (or the new Challenge mud tires if they look good and are apprechiably less expensive than the Dugast), but should I go with an all-around as well, or two sets of mud tires? I was thinking one set of FMBs (or Fangos if I'm broke after the upcoming move) and a set of Rhinos? For racing in Seattle, should i go with 32s or 34s?

I could have the Shamals set with Michelin Muds with a latex tube, or Hutch Bulldogs tubeless, for muddy days on the 2nd bike if the all-around tires aren't doing well in the mud (I can't imagine they wouldn't do well on all but the muddiest of days).

Those in the northwest, let me know your thoughts. Thanks.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
you can lose "The System"

Is this Mr. Pease? Welcome to the area!

One thing for sure: no goatheads here. The System* is not needed.

Regardless, any of the choices you list below are reasonable and the variety is good. Courses here in the PNW seem to vary quite a bit, but mud is a likelyhood every weekend. The progression seems to be towards grassier, smoother courses, almost all have a tricky off camber or other traction critical section. I personally like a larger volume tire on all courses, but either 32 or 34 is functional for most courses in these parts.

*The System is the way many in New Mexico (where I believe euro-trash is coming from) prevent flats from goatheads. What is it? Cut the bead off an old road tire, use it as a tire liner. Makes you strong, like bull.


euro-trash said:
Here are my questions. I am thinking I'll want one set of Rhinos (or the new Challenge mud tires if they look good and are apprechiably less expensive than the Dugast), but should I go with an all-around as well, or two sets of mud tires? I was thinking one set of FMBs (or Fangos if I'm broke after the upcoming move) and a set of Rhinos? For racing in Seattle, should i go with 32s or 34s?

I could have the Shamals set with Michelin Muds with a latex tube, or Hutch Bulldogs tubeless, for muddy days on the 2nd bike if the all-around tires aren't doing well in the mud (I can't imagine they wouldn't do well on all but the muddiest of days).

Those in the northwest, let me know your thoughts. Thanks.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,354 Posts
Thanks for the info Alex. Yeap, it's me. I've forgotten what it's like to race without thorns slowly accumulating in your tires during a race. For that reason I've been running Tufos for racing for the last 3 years. They work well in sand, and when you have up to 40 thorns in your tire after a race, they are the only way to fly.

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking I'll try a set of Fango 32s and a set of Rhino 34s. But if I do this, I won't be able to blame my tires when you invariably lap me....let me re-think this.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,017 Posts
euro-trash said:
Thanks for the info Alex. Yeap, it's me. I've forgotten what it's like to race without thorns slowly accumulating in your tires during a race. For that reason I've been running Tufos for racing for the last 3 years. They work well in sand, and when you have up to 40 thorns in your tire after a race, they are the only way to fly.

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking I'll try a set of Fango 32s and a set of Rhino 34s. But if I do this, I won't be able to blame my tires when you invariably lap me....let me re-think this.
I know another Euro-Trasher (French) that is on his way to Ellensburg to CWU as well, in the Mathematics dept. I believe. I doubt you'd catch him on a cross bike though as he's a tri guy. Welcome to the area.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
398 Posts
Bizarre. What a small world...

I'm sitting here in E-burg right now (although I live in Seattle).
I ran Grifos in both 32 and 34 last year in the seattle series and portland usgp races. I liked the larger volume of the 34 for most of the races.

Be advised that there are now 2 series in the seattle area, and there should be some good sand sections this year! Bring on the season-long back-to-back weekend races!

Cheers, and welcome to Ellensburg. If you mtb you'll love some of the trails in the area...

-epicxt
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top