Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I currently have a Specialized Allez Elite ('05) and I am looking at getting a bike to commute 25 miles (each way). The bike needs to be able to support pannier bags. Ideally the bike would be steel.

Any suggestions?

Would like to stay under $1500.

Thanks!

Mike

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Soma, Surly, or Gunnar cyclocross bikes with eBay parts. Don't skimp on the wheels or lights. Surly Long Haul Trucker is a nice choice, especially if you want panniers.

A second bike for commuting is a great decision. It allows you to make it as practical as possible and still have another bike for doing group rides and centuries.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
skibud2 said:
Bigbill,

Thanks for the response.

For people are curious, one of the bikes that I am currently seriously looking at is the Masi Speciale Randonneur:

http://www.masibikes.com/tab4_subNav2.php

Masi is making some great bikes...That one would be great for your purposes....Do you have a safe place to keep it at work?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I work at a military company with cameras at all entrances. We have an area to hang our bikes.

·
Registered
417 Posts
skibud2 said:
Bigbill,

Thanks for the response.

For people are curious, one of the bikes that I am currently seriously looking at is the Masi Speciale Randonneur:

http://www.masibikes.com/tab4_subNav2.php
I have Surly Cross Check that I got used with STI shifters that I commute on and really like. If I was getting something new that Masi looks really sweet, I had no idea they are so reasonable as well....

·
Registered
417 Posts
I have always admired the REI Randonee, if you get one during the 20% off sale that helps plus if you have an REI CC you can get 5% back.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
commuter bike

Salsa Casseroll and Jamis Aurora and Elite would all be good options. I finally bought a touring frame over the winter after commuting on a racing frame for the past two years. I'm really glad I made the switch. I got a Bob Jackson World Tour, and it working out nicely for my purposes. It has mounts for front and rear racks and fenders, as well as spacing for larger tires. Yet it only weighed about 21 lbs. built up -- with cages, pedals and front rack but without lights, computer, seatbag, rear rack. Frame cost about $600 including insurance and shipping from England.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I have heard good things about the Surly steel frames. Very popular among the hardcore up here in Seattle, but I don't think they are as cheap as some of the larger companies?? MTT:thumbsup:

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
tarwheel2 said:
Salsa Casseroll and Jamis Aurora and Elite would all be good options. I finally bought a touring frame over the winter after commuting on a racing frame for the past two years. I'm really glad I made the switch. I got a Bob Jackson World Tour, and it working out nicely for my purposes. It has mounts for front and rear racks and fenders, as well as spacing for larger tires. Yet it only weighed about 21 lbs. built up -- with cages, pedals and front rack but without lights, computer, seatbag, rear rack. Frame cost about $600 including insurance and shipping from England.
Dayamn. This guy nailed it. Looks like you can commute thru about anything on this baby. You need to give us a final tally on the $ damage:devil:

The OP might strongly consider starting with a used titanium frame off eBay. Not worrying about frame corrosion could be a big plus. Make sure you find one with enough clearance to take on fenders.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts