Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a second stem? I'll be ordering a LHT soon, and have asked the bicycle shop to install a second stem. I want to make sure that they install the second stem correctly the first time! The bike shop is about 170 miles round trip.

I need a second stem for the handlebar bag, so I can put other gadgets on the handlebars.

What would be your recommendations? Thanks.
 

·
duh...
Joined
·
9,658 Posts
I recommend learning to do it yourelf... changing stems ain't rocket science, esp if threadless
 

·
hello
Joined
·
3,394 Posts
Yep. Just have the bike shop leave you plenty of steerer tube length so you can experiment with the exact placement of spacers and the second stem.
Chances are, you'll not be completely satisfied if they arbitrarily threw the second stem on there without knowing exactly what kind of bag or accessories you intend to mount on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
roadfix said:
Yep. Just have the bike shop leave you plenty of steerer tube length so you can experiment with the exact placement of spacers and the second stem.
Chances are, you'll not be completely satisfied if they arbitrarily threw the second stem on there without knowing exactly what kind of bag or accessories you intend to mount on it.
I plan on using the Acorn handlebar bag, but I might try other handlebar bags ....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
llama31 said:
I can see how it would be useful
I plan on having a few extra gadgets in the front, like at least two strong headlamps, two computers (one for cadence and the other for a heart monitor), map holder, AirZound. Maybe I'll even add a bell, or something else .... plus the handlebar bag, and maybe an extra water bottle holder ....
 

·
duh...
Joined
·
9,658 Posts
vja4Him said:
Here is a link with a picture of a guy with a second stem on his LHT:

I Love the Second Stem


not what I was thinking, but still does not look difficult to install... why the guy in the link has a bag on it when he has a perfectly good rack installed is a mystery
 

·
duh...
Joined
·
9,658 Posts
vja4Him said:
I plan on having a few extra gadgets in the front, like at least two strong headlamps, two computers (one for cadence and the other for a heart monitor), map holder, AirZound. Maybe I'll even add a bell, or something else .... plus the handlebar bag, and maybe an extra water bottle holder ....


why not a swinggrip, barxtender or other access bar? maybe that's too much [email protected] to fit
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,071 Posts
wow- that's a really heavy solution to a simple problem...

get a decent front rack with tabs fer mounting lights, a berthoud front bag and a decalleur to hold it in place- it'll be a bit more expensive, but a lot lighter and less... bodged looking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
buck-50 said:
wow- that's a really heavy solution to a simple problem...

get a decent front rack with tabs fer mounting lights, a berthoud front bag and a decalleur to hold it in place- it'll be a bit more expensive, but a lot lighter and less... bodged looking.
I've actually considered putting one light on the fork, and one of the bars. Also, I have a helmet light.
 

·
hello
Joined
·
3,394 Posts
buck-50 said:
wow- that's a really heavy solution to a simple problem...
I agree. I personally like a simple, less 'cluttered' cockpit area.
 

·
duh...
Joined
·
9,658 Posts
vja4Him said:
I might add a bar extender in addition to the second stem! I'm a gadget freak!!!


how about a second stem w/ 2 xtenders on each end, then 2 more xtenders on each extender?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cool Gadgets for the Bike ... ???

FatTireFred said:
how about a second stem w/ 2 xtenders on each end, then 2 more xtenders on each extender?
Now you're talkin'!!! I can have a gps system, iPod/iTouch, maybe speakers!!! What other cool gadgets am I missing ... ???
 

·
duh...
Joined
·
9,658 Posts
vja4Him said:
Now you're talkin'!!! I can have a gps system, iPod/iTouch, maybe speakers!!! What other cool gadgets am I missing ... ???


this!

 

·
What'd I do?
Joined
·
1,775 Posts
It looks like a solution to a problem that not too many people have. On a standard handlebar and stem, you can easily mount a computer and single light. With a touring bike, especially one with racks, there are several other attachment points for lights (depending on the particular light, of course). There are other, simpler solutions for light mounts, if that's your problem. (These are from the Velo Orange site)





I can understand a second stem installed to hold a bar bag, but only to avoid cable interference. The bike in your link didn't have a cable issue, he just had a crapload of stuff on his handlebar. If you carry a map, many bar bags have a map/cue sheet holder. Other map holders simply attach and hang from the handlebars, not necessarily interfering with your other accessories.

In short, I think you're overcomplicating a simple task, and the second stem is a solution to the overcomplications.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top