Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The black "security" cable that comes with the Yakima HoldUp bike hitch rack can be cut in less than 1 minute with a used hacksaw. I know because I just did it.

Yakima supplies only one key (the number of which I should have recorded) and no number card. This is unlike Kryptonite, Guard Dog, Master, etc. Maybe that should have been a sign that the security isn't much. Cus it's not.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,793 Posts
Trek2.3 said:
The black "security" cable that comes with the Yakima HoldUp bike hitch rack can be cut in less than 1 minute with a used hacksaw. I know because I just did it.

Yakima supplies only one key (the number of which I should have recorded) and no number card. This is unlike Kryptonite, Guard Dog, Master, etc. Maybe that should have been a sign that the security isn't much. Cus it's not.
Dude. ANY cable lock can be cut with a hacksaw. As can ANY U-Lock.

Bike locks exist only to inconvenience thieves enough to cause them to desire easier prey. They will not stop someone who is determined.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Only keeps the honest people honest

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Pretty much any bike rack can be broken into or removed completely. The little cable locks are only to stop grab and runs. You can rig better lock systems if you want to feel more secure about it, but basically if someone is determined the bike will be gone.

The big thing that was going on around here for a while was with the roof racks. Thieves were using cordless drills to quickly remove the crown/stem bolts and would steal the bike and leave the fork attached to the roof.

·
Burnum Upus Quadricepus
2,017 Posts
Trek2.3 said:
You should have used a good set of electrician's wire cutters. You'd have saved 59 seconds.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts