Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone out there in bicycle cyberspace help me locate a suitable replacement chain for my aging Italian road bike. It's equipped with a Shimano 600 freewheel and Campy Record chain rings. I've used the Sedisport narrow chain for the 6 speed freewheel for years and when it's replaced it's a very smooth ride and shift. I"m now due for a new chain and have found that the narrow Shimano chains just aren't narrow enough. I get clatter and rub, etc. Please don't tell me to change out my freewheel and chainrings? They are in good shape according to the local bike shop. I just need a Sedisport clone. Can anyone help me? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
The 6/7/8 speed Sram chains are essentially the successors of the old Sedisports. Sedis was bought by Sachs which in turn was gobbled up by Sram.

Our shop puts the basic $18 PC-48 on 6 and 7 speed drivetrains all the time with fine results. It even comes with a reuseable toolless master link.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
+1 on the PC-48. Cheap, indestructable, smooth, many times re-usable link. Not sure though if SRAM still makes it and if it's still available. Seems like every time I turn around, I'm told "SRAM don't make that no more." :mad:

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
wim said:
+1 on the PC-48. Cheap, indestructable, smooth, many times re-usable link. Not sure though if SRAM still makes it and if it's still available. Seems like every time I turn around, I'm told "SRAM don't make that no more." :mad:
We buy them in "bulk" from J&B which keeps the cost down. They're made in Portugal of all places and the big box is labelled "Sram." I think they have a new name for it like PC whatever, but it's still the same old PC-48.

Great chain for 6-7-8 drivetrains.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
This is good news for me too. I still have a small splattering of 6 spd cogs for my freewheels but like the OP, I've used up my Sedisport and Shimano chains of the time.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Just checked J&B's latest catalog. The PC-48 is now called the PC-850 but it's the same chain. Sram recently changed all their chain nomenclature (how's that for a 25 cent word?).

They also now offer a lesser finished PC-830 at a lower price point but only the 850 can be had in bulk. For us it's a cheaper (and better) alternative.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I, too, was a longtime Sedis fan/user for my Puch '531 racer. Still got, of course. I was suitable perturbed, after a legthy hiatus from cycling, to find Sedisport had vanished. Finding out it was now SRAM-owned/swallowed, I tried quite a few chains. The SRAM PC-830 is great! But I like the PC-870 even better. Take a look when you get a chance. I figure if I put a Shimano chain on my Puch, both would spontaneously burst into flames.

·
cycling as lifestyle
472 Posts
wim said:
Sram PC-48 SHOULD be (these days) Sram PC-830 (or 850) which is the next chain for my 7 speed drivetrain, and I would recommend this chain for the OP as well.

This chain will replace (you guessed it) the original Sedis that came with the bike.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.