Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK gang. What do you think this is? You guys guess, and I'll post the rest in a couple of days. Hint...you're in the commuting and touring section.

Winner gets a whole lot of nothing.

Guess away...

·
Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hollywood said:
summa these?
Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

I knew it wouldn't take you guys long. I'll post another shot when they are done. They are going to go on a Cross Check too, BTW. I built a couple of stitch and glue kayaks, but a friend of mine built a strip boat, so he had the extra scraps of wood. We're going to glass the inside, so they should be crazy strong.

G

·
Yeah, give us some build reports as you go along. Especially the hardware mounting and etc.

Many of us have shops and could do something like this, be interesting to follow your project.

Take lots of pictures.

·
Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
handsomerob said:
Are all the holes for C clamps, some sort of tie downs, or what???
Yes, the holes are for clamps that we used to bend the wood. We put the strips of wood in a 2" PVC pipe and used a tea kettle to pump steam into the pipe for 20 minutes. Then we bent the strips over the form and let it dry in place while clamped down. They sprung back a bit when we took them off, but they will be held in place on the bike by the stays, so I think it's OK. Also, I think the layer of fiberglass on the inside will help hold it in shape. I believe the professional ones use a second lamination of wood on the inside to help hold the curve, but we really didn't have the right scraps for that.

The pictures shown are after the strips have been steamed and dried into the curve. They are being held together after putting epoxy between the strips, so we didn't need all the ones in the holes for that step.

Right now they are back on the forms with the fiberglass curing on the inside.

I am going to use the hardware from a set of SKS fenders; that way I'll have the all important front safety release.

I'm thinking about cutting some cool mudflaps from an old leather briefcase.

I'm pretty excited about the project; my cross check wasn't getting much use because of the lack of fenders.

·
Master Bike Mechanic
409 Posts
I was gonna say a gun rack for collectable Rifles. :(

Why not some Berthoud Mud flaps?

·
Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Almost done. I just sanded the top and saturated them with epoxy, so you can see what they will look like when they are done. After this has a chance to harden then the only thing left to do is cut them to size and varnish before mounting hardware. I like the look of the saturated wood. Thanks for all the comments.

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
I admire you for your craftsmanship.

So many younger folk can't saw a 2 X 4

I love to work with wood (insert joke).

Please do pass this somewhat lost art down to others.

Thank you for your post :thumbsup:

·
Registered
444 Posts
way to roll your own.

i got half way through a stitch and glue gloucester gull dory... then the weather got nice and i stopped working on it. it bummed me out so much to see it half done that i cut it up and burned it in the woodstove, except the prow.

kept me warm for an evening of fly tying.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.