Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?p=627892&posted=1#post627892

I just got my new 51cm LOOK 585 in the special edition red/red color. Above is the link to some pics I posted on the LOOK forum. The frame arrived about noon on Friday and I got it built-up by early Saturday morning, using many of the parts off my KG381. The 585 really rides great. I didn’t notice any harshness at all. One minor thing I don’t like is the lack of any frame mounted cable adjusters. With Campy, your only choice is to add some in-line adjusters. With a triple FD, getting the cable tension set correctly was a good trick, but I got it done. The frame does have some nice head tube mounted cable guides to prevent paint damage. With the cable guides, I didn’t use the crossed cable routing that I normally do. The quality of the finish on this special edition frame couldn’t be better. I really like having a frame with a fork painted to match (at no extra cost).

I tried the new Campy ultra narrow chain and found that it didn’t work with my triple FD. Absolutely couldn’t get the cage to go far enough to the left to make the shift to the little ring, even with the limit screw backed out far enough to let the pivot arm touch the seat tube. The chainline was right on the money, so I decided to tweak the FD cage a bit. A little squeeze in a vise narrowed it enough to work great. Now I’ve got some of the best front shifting ever. The narrower chain caused no problem at all with my FSA triple crank.

LOOK has changed their expanding plug for the steering tube, to what appears to be an FSA product. It’s much easier to use than the old model.

One of the new items on this bike is the Easton EC-90 OS handlebar. I searched for a bargain price and got a pair for $180. These bars have an ergo compatible bend. The levers must be mounted high. Using my standard 1” dowel rod spanning between the brake hoods, I measured 9cm inside to inside, which is 1cm more than my old Salsa Poco bars. With this setting, there is no need to rotate the bars more than a couple of degrees to position the brake hoods approximately horizontal.

Another new item is the Ritchey 4-axis OS stem. This stem has to be the sleekest OS stem on the market. The front clamp is as minimal as it can be. The stem is quite stiff and held the bars perfectly, with no slippage.

I also changed to 175mm crank arms, just for fun. The FSA Team Issue carbon crank is another E-bay bargain ($124).

The tires are Michelin Pro2 Race that I picked up for $22 each from www.11speed.com. I got 10, so I better like them.

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
1,434 Posts
I see red. Very nice. Make sure you use clear bottles when drinking red gatorade!

·
Registered
129 Posts
This might be the picture but is that bar tape pink it kinda looks odd. I would just put white tape and be done. No matter what's on it it's a sweet bike. And thank you for putting Campy on it. After seeing all these Colnago's and Looks with Shimano it's nice to see some real parts on that baby.

·
Registered
133 Posts
why are you all over the board with components?

if using fsa then all fsa, why a ritchey stem, easton bars, fsa crank etc etc? and for gods
sake use a compact 34-50 and get rid of a triple. campy offers a 29 rr cog, if you cant climb it in a 34x29 then walk.

·
soy un perdedor
839 Posts
peabody said:
if using fsa then all fsa, why a ritchey stem, easton bars, fsa crank etc etc? and for gods
sake use a compact 34-50 and get rid of a triple. campy offers a 29 rr cog, if you cant climb it in a 34x29 then walk.
And the ARP award for the day goes too... :rolleyes:

Edit: BTW C-40. It's beautiful. Enjoy.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
simple answers...

peabody said:
Your commets don't offend me (that was the intent?). Yes, I could have bought an Easton stem, but none are as light as the new Ritchey. LOOK provides an FSA headset with the frame and it's proudly written on the sides of the top section, so I have an FSA post, cranks and headset that all match. In the past, when I want a bike to look classier, I've removed all the graphics from the stem and painted it gloss or flat black.

Your profile says you're a racer and I assume a young one. I've never raced (or wanted to), but when I was young (mid thirties), I rode (and kept up) with some of the local racing and ironman training rides. Time never stops and now I'll be 53 in a couple of weeks. I ride the Colorado mountains exclusively. The comments about the triple crank are typical for a young racer-snob. A 50/34 with a 13-29 would be a stupid setup for the mountains, with a top gear of only 50/13 which is the same as a 53/14. You'd be spun-out in no time on the descent.

I could get by quite well on most of my rides with a 53/39 crank and a 13-29, but then I'd lose the 53/12 that's well used on the descent. I like to be able to handle any climbing situation, so I carefully selected a 53/39/28 (not available from Campy) to go with a 12-25 cassette. In addition to the greater top end, I have two lower ratios, the 28/23 and 28/25 that are equivalent to a 39/32.5 and 39/35. I find these real handy when riding up Mt. Evans (over 14,000 ft. elevation) with a 20-30 mph wind in my face.

FWIW, I've ridden side by side up steep mountain sections with a local 45 Masters racer, with 30 years of experience. Of course he was mashing a 39/23 at 60 rpm while I was comfortably spinning a 28/21. We both got up the mountain at the same speed and spinning will keep your legs fresher. It's also easier on the knees. I had my second knee surgery a month ago and got the expected news that I have plenty of arthritis damage to the kneecap. Hopefully, spinning will keep me riding a lot longer.

What I find amusing is both old and young guys desperately trying to get up a mountain with an under-geared double crank bike. Some have probably never climbed a mountain and just don't now any better, but others are locals just too stubborn to try something different. I've passed more of these slow-cadence non-climbers than I can count.

Of course I get passed up too. I encounter groups of local racers, 20-30 years younger than me and I know better than to try and keep up with them.

Right now, I'm getting ready for a mid-day ride on the new LOOK. Retired at 50 is hard to beat!

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,749 Posts
peabody said:

C40 is too polite. I'll let you know that you're post makes you sound like a complete jerk.

*cheers*

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
peabody said:
Love the mix of build. Matching is like buying off the rack. It takes the same imagination. The mix requires finding peices you like, and you use those.
Got quite a drop there. Love the bike. Triple isn't my thing (normally, though I have occationally wished for it back.)

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
probably...

The main reason I wasn't interested in the 585 was the lack of any colors I liked. When I saw the red/red, I just had to get it.

I actually have TWO Cervelos (a 54cm and a 51cm) on order, but I'm skeptical about ever getting them. They were priced quite a bit below the $2800 retail. If I ever get them I'll probably auction them on E-bay for a modest profit.

I finally got a look at a 54cm R3 at a local shop. The finish isn't close to that of a LOOK, although it's undoubtedly stiffer and bit lighter. The exposed carbon is purely funtional with none of the decorative weave pattern that most people expect. Also, like many other production bikes, the decals are kind of thick, protruding far above the base color.

·
Banned
662 Posts
Nice bike, C-40

Jeez, the drop from your seat to handlebars is huge. Doesn't the front edge of your seat
contact/bother you when riding? I recently dropped my bars and noticed more pressure
while riding. I started with a level seat, but am slowly adjusting my Thomson seat post
angle, forward until the pressure is less noticable.
BTW, I was not aware you could get an all-red 585. I thought you previously stated you were
getting a black/red combo color.
Finally, its very hard to match reds on bikes, I gave up and used black/white tape were
needed.

·
Banned
141 Posts
Nice build C-40, what's your saddle-to-bar drop? It looks like a little more than 10cm drop there. If you are 53, and you can manage that much drop, you are the man. I'm young, but I can't go more than 10cm. Also, I've noticed you don't have any spacers. I guess the frame fit you well.

Anyway, the triple crank seems more logical than a compact crank to me. Maybe it's just me, but I really don't understand the benefit of compact cranks so the triple crank would've been my choice too if I need that much lower gearings.

Looks great, have fun.

·
Rollin' Stones
2,641 Posts
Red.

If you really like red you should get all the little trinkets in red. Jockey wheel, chainring bolts, you can get a chain that's red, all sorts of options. The only color I see is green, as in envy, that's a nice ride. :)

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
9cm drop..

Pictures can be deceiving, depending on the angle. The drop is 9cm, which is a lot, but I do lots of exercises to keep in shape. The new setup also has nearly 1cm more reach than I've been using and that's more of a challenge than the drop. I may have to change to a 100mm stem, if I can't hack it, but I'll still buy another Ritchey 4-axis, it's a real nice stem.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.