Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been commuting (about 8mi round trip) to work for a couple of months and doing longer (40-50 mi) rides on the weekends. So far, I've been using my nubby-tire MTB. I signed up for a 2-day 150 mi ride in a couple of months and am obviously in need of a road bike.

I can spend up to about 2k on said bike, and have gone and ridden everything in range of where I live (Seattle). My dilemma can be summed up in one word: fit. I'm 6'2", about 175 lbs. Almost no bike shops have frames larger than 58 cm in stock. These seem too small, and the one 61 cm frame I tried seemed a tad large. So, I think I'm a 60.

I have no idea how a road bike is supposed to feel, though, and I'm nervous about laying down that much cash only to find that I bought the wrong bike. Can you really trust the fittings bike shops do? I've noticed a disturbing correlation between the size estimates of bike shop employees and their available stock.

What is the best way to ensure I get the right fit? How the hell am I supposed to pick the frame that "feels best" when all I can do is ride in-stock, too-small frames and then order the bigger ones?

I'm on the verge of giving up and picking a cheap, decent-seeming 60 cm road bike on ebay. I'd rather have the nice ride up front, but its' starting to look like that's the only way I'm going to get a feel for what works... Any advice/do's/dont's would be much appreciated.

· Registered
232 Posts
It may be worth your while to have a size fitting done. I know Gregg's Greenlake has a Serotta Size Cycle available. Its not cheap ($200) but you'll know the exact sizes (seat tube, top tube, stem length, etc.) that you need. You may even be able to apply some of the cost towards a new bike from them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.