Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am new to the forum so advanced apologies if I have posted this in the incorrect section:

I just purchased a Bianchi 1885 from Evans Cycles to start training for a 1200km charity cycle in the summer. I'm 5 foot 10 inches (178cm) and the guy in the store recommended I get a 53cm frame. I have looked around online and noticed that a general rough rule of thumb is 2/3 of your inside leg measurement (mines 85cm, so 2/3s is 56.6cm). On the 53cm frame, when I stand over the bike, there is a good 4-5inches between my crotch and the top tube.

I would be grateful if anybody could help me with answers to these 3 questions:

1. Does this difference in size really matter?
2. Would you recommend I return the bike and request it in the larger 55cm frame size instead?
3. (If applicable) What actually is the effect on my cycling and comfort if I ride the smaller frame?

Thank you all in advance.

Freddie

·
Registered
330 Posts
Find out what size top tube you need. It might be that you have a shorter torso and would do better on the shorter top tube.

If your knees bump your elbows, it's too small. If you feel scrunched up and uncomfortable, it's too small.

I have about 3 inches between me and my 1885's top tube. I ride a 49, and I set it up for a racier feel, but haven't had any discomfort riding it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your advice, I think I will change it for the size up because when holding the bottom of the drop bars (when descending downhill) my knees are capable of touching my elbows so I probably have adjusted my bio-mechanics to stop them touching by turning my knees out or something. Thank you once again, :)

·
Frog Whisperer
40,939 Posts
I am 5 foot 5 and ride a 2002 bianchi, 53 cm, it fits me like a glove, I suppose I could go to 52 but they didn't make a 52 cm and 51 was too small. I think trading up would be to your advantage. FWIW I have long legs, long arms and short torso.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I made some adjustments to the height of the seat and made the stem higher and I now have clearance between knees and elbows. Also I spoke to the shop and they said try it for a week and if I'm still having problems then they can sort out the larger frame. I'm still unsure though of the exact reason why I should get the 55cm instead of the 53cm if the 53 is too small for me. What will feel different if I did change?

·
Frog Whisperer
40,939 Posts
freddies said:
I made some adjustments to the height of the seat and made the stem higher and I now have clearance between knees and elbows. Also I spoke to the shop and they said try it for a week and if I'm still having problems then they can sort out the larger frame. I'm still unsure though of the exact reason why I should get the 55cm instead of the 53cm if the 53 is too small for me. What will feel different if I did change?
why? because if a 53 is too small a 55 is bigger, and yes there is a difference

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
what size stem is on the bike? 10cm or larger? is the reach to the bars uncomfortable? is the stem inverted so that it points to the sky? is the seat all the way back on the rails on a setback seatpost? How much seat post is showing? if there's only 1-2 in of seat post in the seatube you might have issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.