Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am new to the forum so advanced apologies if I have posted this in the incorrect section:

I just purchased a Bianchi 1885 from Evans Cycles to start training for a 1200km charity cycle in the summer. I'm 5 foot 10 inches (178cm) and the guy in the store recommended I get a 53cm frame. I have looked around online and noticed that a general rough rule of thumb is 2/3 of your inside leg measurement (mines 85cm, so 2/3s is 56.6cm). On the 53cm frame, when I stand over the bike, there is a good 4-5inches between my crotch and the top tube.

I would be grateful if anybody could help me with answers to these 3 questions:

1. Does this difference in size really matter?
2. Would you recommend I return the bike and request it in the larger 55cm frame size instead?
3. (If applicable) What actually is the effect on my cycling and comfort if I ride the smaller frame?

Thank you all in advance.

Freddie

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your advice, I think I will change it for the size up because when holding the bottom of the drop bars (when descending downhill) my knees are capable of touching my elbows so I probably have adjusted my bio-mechanics to stop them touching by turning my knees out or something. Thank you once again, :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I made some adjustments to the height of the seat and made the stem higher and I now have clearance between knees and elbows. Also I spoke to the shop and they said try it for a week and if I'm still having problems then they can sort out the larger frame. I'm still unsure though of the exact reason why I should get the 55cm instead of the 53cm if the 53 is too small for me. What will feel different if I did change?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts