Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Holy Smokes!

Wow, the carnage is ridiculous, the noise from the two guys falling intially is extremely loud, they must've hit really hard, they probably had none of the luck of just sliding, but sliding and getting road rash. I hope whoever that is that they're alright.
Matt

·
Registered
80 Posts
mpetersen16 said:
Wow, the carnage is ridiculous, the noise from the two guys falling intially is extremely loud, they must've hit really hard, they probably had none of the luck of just sliding, but sliding and getting road rash. I hope whoever that is that they're alright.
Matt
I think the 2nd guy to go down had a blowout right before he ate it. Yes, I watched the slo-mo part WAY too many times.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
TurboTurtle said:
Sorry if posted before. Looks like he got his bars caught, but he is in the drops, right? - TF

http://www.break.com/index/cylcingcrash6.html
I was behind a guy sprinting at the finish up a pretty mild grade, maybe 5%, and he was pulling so hard on the bars he popped his front wheel off the ground, which then went pretty far out of line, and he lost it when his front wheel made contact with the road again. A lot like that, he swerved a few times and then went down. Luckily I went the opposite way of the direction he fell and missed him.

·
Registered
635 Posts
now that i think about it, it a crit i was at a few weeks ago one of the cat 3's (so much for them being "sane") did something pretty much like that at the line. he was going for a top 15 spot and ended up losing it right at/past the line. luckily there was no one behind him and he was fine. scary stuff.

·
Registered
87 Posts
TurboTurtle said:
Sorry if posted before. Looks like he got his bars caught, but he is in the drops, right? - TF

http://www.break.com/index/cylcingcrash6.html

It looks to me like he touched a wheel.

It's never good to see a crash at that speed, but that didn't look any better or worse then the typical finish-line blaze of glory crash. IME, it's usually caused by some moron being overly agressive sprinting for 20th place.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Yep that's pretty ugly to watch. Here's what I saw.

The guys in the greenish jersey and white jersey get tangled up. It look like they are passing one another as the crash begins. I think the guy in white hit the other guy's bars as he went by. The green guy's wheel turns abruptly but then comes back to center. He seems fine but then begins leaning toward the other rider and eventually looses it.

I wouldn't say they hooked bars cause that would have created a more immediate crash. I think they just brushed up against one another as one went by.

Lesson learned??? Sprint with your elbows out. This will allow you to cushion any contact you make with another rider. Contact around the H-bars can impact your steering. Your elbows can be used as a bumper to soften the contact and minimize disruption to steering.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Or use your head like robbie mcewen? :rolleyes:

biknben said:
Lesson learned??? Sprint with your elbows out. This will allow you to cushion any contact you make with another rider. Contact around the H-bars can impact your steering. Your elbos can be used as a bumper to soften the contact and minimize disruption to steering.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
biknben said:
The guys in the greenish jersey and white jersey get tangled up. It look like they are passing one another as the crash begins. I think the guy in white hit the other guy's bars as he went by.
Yep

biknben said:
Lesson learned??? Sprint with your elbows out. This will allow you to cushion any contact you make with another rider. Contact around the H-bars can impact your steering. Your elbos can be used as a bumper to soften the contact and minimize disruption to steering.
The other lesson would be that if you are going to try to squeeze through that tiny little hole, you'd better know that you'll fit. Personally I don't think I'd have tried it, but if I was going to I'd be sure to let green-jersey guy know I was there, with a hip touch or a "hey hey" or something. To get run-up-on from behind... that sux.

·
BS the DC
1,426 Posts
I like the ballerina at the end that just barely escapes going down.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.