Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,696 Posts
If it's cartridge style BB, use a skewer w/ a quick release to hold the BB tool in place( the spindle should be hollow).

I'm going from memory but I think you need to use a rear skewer. A front is too short..

Put a big wrench on the BB tool and wack it with a hammer....Just remember drive side is reverse threaded..

I've used this method for years and it really works and saves the skin on your knuckles....

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Brick Tamland said:
I need to replace my bottom bracket (shimano, cartridge-style, square-taper) and it appears to be seized.

Any suggestions?
WD40

Or I have found that I can seemingly get alot more torque using a socket wrench attached to the bottom bracket tool than with just regular wrench.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Lots of medium taps are better than one or two big hits.

·
Grey Manrod
9,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey, thanks all for the replies. I couldn't find a piece of pipe suitable to my needs, don't currently have a bench vice and I was getting p!ssed. Three lb mallet wasn't doing the job, and I started worrying that I was going to break something. So, I took it to the LBS and let them deal with it. Took 'em a while, but they got it. A bargain at eight bucks...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.