Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to remove the inner chainring on a triple crank. The bolts will not move. When I turn really hard, the wrench starts to twist. Any insight into this problem will be appreicated.

Thanks

·
Registered
484 Posts
Spray them with wd-40 or something of the sort and let them soak overnight. Then in the morning put a good quality allen bit on a breaker bar and hope for the best, if the proper metric size has gotten sloppy from removal attempts sometimes you can tap a standard size into the bolt with a small mallet. Either they will come out or they will strip out if they strip. You'll need a dremel tool, some oil and a small diamond burr or carbide cutting bit to split the bolt on either side to remove it in 2 pieces. Good luck and hopefully you don't need the dremel.

·
Registered
21,787 Posts
Not WD-40

While WD-40 would be better than nothing for freeing up your bolts, something like Liquid Wrench or Kroil would be much better at doing this. And, assuming you get the bolts apart, be sure to grease the threads well when you put things back together.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I wouldn''t fuss to much with them... if they didn't come out with penatrating oil, and a breaker bar, I's just drill them out and repalce them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.