Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I wanted to replace my 6001 cartridge bearings on my old Superbe Pro rear hub and I thought that rather than buy one of the cheap and simple Enduro type "tweezer" removers, I would get the specific remover from Wheels MFG.

Got the NDS out without too much trouble, however I cannot get the DS unit to even budge. Tried using a punch as instructed and also tried an old axle (this provided even more purchase). All that happens is that the bearing extractor tools slowly gets punched out of the ID of the cartridge bearing.

Anyone have any additional tricks? I have tried to soak the seam of the OD of the bearing with lube overnight but I still cannot see the cartridge bearing moving a millimeter. If I have to destroy the bearing to get it out, what's the best approach.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Using a punch, you can often easily knock out the inner race and the bearings, then the outer race is more flexible and you can pop it out with the punch. Last resort since you you can distort or mangle the seat if you're not careful.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No. Cannot reach it from the other side with a punch as the ID of the hub for the axle is less than the bearing ID. You can only go after these from the same side.

·
Registered
502 Posts
You might try a heat gun. Not a torch. But, an electric one that basically is an over powered hair dryer. Go easy on it. Heat it a little and apply some PBlaster or Kroil. Then try again. Some times the heating and cooling down will get the solvent in there and loosen it up. You could also use a Dremel with a cut off wheel or a carbide tip bit and cut the old bearing out, bit by bit. Almost like dentistry. This would be a procedure that requires a steady hand and a lot of patience. But it can be done. Just grind a little bit at a time. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thx. Tried the hair dryer before I saw this and finally got it out without damaging the bearing seats. New ones went in smoothly with the homemade press I made from and old axle and some old cartridge bearings and large hex nutsb. Not sure how much life is left in my Wheels MFG extractor after all it went through.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Thx. Tried the hair dryer before I saw this and finally got it out without damaging the bearing seats. New ones went in smoothly with the homemade press I made from and old axle and some old cartridge bearings and large hex nutsb. Not sure how much life is left in my Wheels MFG extractor after all it went through.
Good deal.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
nice going.

this happened to me once. fortunately, i got lucky and found a donor hub in a parts bin and moved the spare axle over.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After all that, I am not so sure the higher priced expandable extractor, specifically for 6001 cartridges, really performs any better than the $4 "tweezer" style. The latter cheapo unit tries to make a purchase behind the ID of the cartridge bearing, but mine just expands inside the ID of the cartridge without going behind.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts