Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Hucken The Fard Up !
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all,

I bought me a Selcof MC10 carbon monocoque handlebars to upgrade my beloved Trek 5500.

The colorway even matches my bike colors. It will be beautiful when finished.

As you can see I have already installed the handlebars, now I just have to transfer the STIs to it and put the handlebar tape on

Now, my question is.

Should I put the handlebar tape ( a red one) over the handlebars the usual way ?

If I do so, it'll cover the nice graphics and logos on it ?

or should I just put the tape on the drops and under the STIs and leave the front part free ?

Or should I get a transparent hanblebar tape ? I have seen those on chainreactioncycles.com for example.

If you have monocoque handlebars, how have you setup yours ?

Can you post pictures of it ?

Thanks

· Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
errr. wrap 'em all the way... I mean what's the point of having all that area for your palms if you're not cushy under it?

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
CleavesF said:
errr. wrap 'em all the way... I mean what's the point of having all that area for your palms if you're not cushy under it?
Right! They're also very slippery when your hands get sweaty, or when it rains.

· Hucken The Fard Up !
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found these pictures on the web, it is not a monocoque but are similar shaped handlebars,

Also I have seen Alejandro Valverde using them that way on the Tour de France and I saw a guy's bike here with a similar wrapping.

I guess, it is the right way to use them, as I have cycling gloves on and the handlebars are shaped anatomically it should suffice don't you think ?

· Hucken The Fard Up !
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did it already, here is how it looks :)

I ordered a Selcof monocoque seatpost to match the new handlebars !

· Registered
1,326 Posts
Wow, those are awsome! In actual fact, wrapping up to the bend that starts the
tops is all that is necessary, because in reality with gloves on plus there are
no lateral forces on the tops that would cause your hands to slip. The topper
is, you want everyone to see the graphics.

· Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
^^^ not everyone uses gloves on every ride. I mean you guys still use gloves if you ride solo?

· Hucken The Fard Up !
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I allways wear the gloves, and even with corktape your hands can slip when wet.

I did my first test ride after I took the pictures.

The handlebars are simply great, the shape of the top of them is perfectly molded for a good grip and also as you have a flat and wide area on top my wrists didn't got tired as with the cilindrical bars.

It really was designed to be used nude, if you put corktape over them then they'd be to thick for me, a guy with big hands could maybe need it but I guess my hands are normal sized so it has the right size for me.

Also I noticed an instant improving on speed. I guess it could be because they are lighter than the icon aluminum bars/stem I had before.

I was afraid that the inclination of the stem and handlebars could be off and then I'd not be happy as it is monocoque and then fixed, but fortunately it is shaped in the right way for me, I am just happy.

I can truly recommend you to get one of those, you this kind of hadlebars doesn't only look great but feel great and improve your performance. :)

· naranjito
785 Posts
"Also I noticed an instant improving on speed. I guess it could be because they are lighter than the icon aluminum bars/stem I had before"

You really believe that a carbon bar will make you faster than al alu one???

If you like, for a reasonable fee I can paint you a red stripe on your TT, which will gain you at least another 25 watts... :rolleyes:

· Hucken The Fard Up !
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
foz said:
"Also I noticed an instant improving on speed. I guess it could be because they are lighter than the icon aluminum bars/stem I had before"

You really believe that a carbon bar will make you faster than al alu one???

If you like, for a reasonable fee I can paint you a red stripe on your TT, which will gain you at least another 25 watts... :rolleyes:
It is not that I believe it or not... simply the numbers I see on my cyclocomputer don't lie

· Registered
1,326 Posts
Making comments like that is an open invitation for the sharks to come feeding.
I once made a coment that my new TCR Advanced enabled me to clock faster
laps over my 24 pound steel bike and got my buttocks chewed off by the steel
is real, ride a piece of crap, it's the legs that matter crowd. Having said that, it's
just a wee bit harder to get my arms around the concept that your new handlebar\
stem setup, which probably weighs almost as much as the old could be
making a measurable difference in your speed.

· Hucken The Fard Up !
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't know about the sharks you mention,

But I know that changes on your bike affects your performance for sure, maybe the weight, maybe the more aerodinamic position I was because now the handlebars are lower than my earlier ones and as there is no possibility to put them up I rode that way.

The only thing I can say it is a fact.

I made my routinary circuit, the same I do 3 times per week, and I noticed that on the section I usually am at ~34 Kmh I was at ~38 Kmh. and my Average speed went up ~2Kmh.

If the changes we do to our bikes, putting lighter components had no real impact in performance then nobody would be out there spending money on them.

It is true that is the rider who makes the bike go.

But I am comparing me to myself and on my ordinary and routinary circuit. FWIW.

· Hucken The Fard Up !
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
two more pics

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.