Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Gruntled
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bunch of extra parts I was planning to sell on eBay, including a frame, wheels, etc. I realized I'm just a few parts away from having a complete bike, so I'm wondering if I'd do better to buy the remaining parts, build it up, and sell a complete bike, or sell the parts individually? The frame is an Orbea Mitis and the build would be Campy centaur w/ proton wheels. Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Jim Nazium said:
I have a bunch of extra parts I was planning to sell on eBay, including a frame, wheels, etc. I realized I'm just a few parts away from having a complete bike, so I'm wondering if I'd do better to buy the remaining parts, build it up, and sell a complete bike, or sell the parts individually? The frame is an Orbea Mitis and the build would be Campy centaur w/ proton wheels. Thanks for your thoughts.
From what I've read in other posts, you'll likely get more by selling each part separately. But you might not sell everything, and I think its kind of a pain to have a bunch of auctions running at once.

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
I parted out a bike last year- it really wasn't that hard and I ended up getting more money for the parts than a friend who sold the same bike whole...

You do end up getting a ton of questions when you sell individual parts, but if you're lucky, someone will try to buy more than one part from you and you'll be able to save time and effort on shipping.

Shipping individual components is a LOT easier than shipping a bike, and a lot less likely to have UPS drive a forklift through your carefully packaged bike... not that I'm bitter...

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
yep little more work but more profit to part it out

i usually don't part out my bikes, but am really just feeding my new-bike-itis and need to make room, not so much about maxing profit.
also wait until spring to sell

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
part it out.

You'll make more.

Use a low starting price for your items to minimize ebay costs -- they'll get bid up.

though you shouldn't overdo it, make sure you charge enough shipping. Cranks, wheels, etc., can cost more to ship than you think.

·
"It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
Jim Nazium said:
What parts are you talking about? If you've got a bunch of low-end Shimano stuff from the late 80s, you might be better off building the bike. If you have a Campy gruppo or First Generation Dura-Ace or a nice Suntour XC Comp gruppo, part it out. Generally, parting out gets more $$, but if the components have no value on their own, build a bike.

- FBB

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
This is kind of hilarious..

You read lots of stories about how much cheaper it is to buy a frame and then build it up with parts from Ebay. OTOH it seems that you make more money by selling parts rather than a complete bike. Perception is everything, it seems.
________
The cigar boss

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
not hilarious--true: having bought and sold 9 on ebay

it is cheapest to buy a complete bike in the dead of winter
also cheaper to build up a bike via ebay--as opposed to retail.
i have bought 2 complete bikes on ebay to get a frame and campy group, then sold off the other frame and shimano stuff. far cheaper than buying the frame and parts I wanted separately, and far, far, far cheaper than buying the stuff retail.
jim

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yes, true, but.......

What the other posters have said is true, but it only works well if your stuff is relatively new, is in excellent condition, you take some really good hi-res photos of the stuff, and write accurate descriptions. Only then will you get the interest and the resulting high bids from the potential buyers. In my experience, if you wind up with only a few watchers near the end of the auction, your item won't sell for much. OTOH, if you have 20+ watchers, get ready to run to the bank!

·
Registered
274 Posts
buck-50 said:
I
Shipping individual components is a LOT easier than shipping a bike, and a lot less likely to have UPS drive a forklift through your carefully packaged bike... not that I'm bitter...
packages are not moved with forklifts.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Part it. Even if the parts ain't so new.

Last year I parted an old bike and sold '89 vintage Ultegra bits, '89 vintage Wolber rims w/ same vintage Ultegra hubs, '92 vintage Look pedals, all for more than what I expected. Just sold a '92 frame--posted w/ a buy it now price--in less than 8 hours.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts