Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that every maker has a slightly different take on how to fit a saddle. I have been using Specialized saddles for a while. I am interested in checking out some of the Selle SMP saddles. For those who have tried them- does the saddle size correspond with the type of sit bone measurement used in the Spec saddles?

I typically use the wider saddles and would therefore think that the wider SMPs (Pro, Plus) might be a good starting point. Due to the significant differences in design, would there be other factors to consider that might affect this? I am mainly looking for a good starting point rather than go through their entire saddle line.

·
Bianchi-Campagnolo
3,902 Posts
Which Specialized saddle do you use now and in which width?

(I used a Selle SMP Full Carbon earlier and am now on a Specialized Power Pro 143 mm.)

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I find SMP width descriptions to be misleading. I'm in narrow sit bone category and tried 3 of their saddles for that but all turned out to be painful at sit bone contact points. Some users love the way they fit but I've read the review from others who expressed the same problem.

I don't have that problem with narrow (around 135mm wide) saddles by Selle Italia, Fizik and Selle San Marco.

In my view, SMP is wider than they describe so it may be a benefit for those looking for wider saddles.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
In my view, SMP is wider than they describe so it may be a benefit for those looking for wider saddles.
My view is just the opposite. They are 'rounded' on the top so the measurement of the actual top is quite narrow.
Whatever though, they are their own thing. If I remember correctly their website has some pretty good info about sizing.

Kind of off topic but: The proper tilt is a really big deal with these as compared to conventional saddle IMO. It took a lot of trail and error to get it just right but once I did it was great. That unlike other saddle where I just lay a book on top and if it looks close to level it's as good as it will be.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most recently I have been using a Power 168, prior to that Toupe 155

If I look at the charts on the SMP site a majority of the saddles are listed as compatible for me, which they seem to do based on waist size.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I rode the Spec Toupe & Avatar 155mm for years, until I had a pelvic pain problem (not caused by cycling).

After over a yr of PT and other therapies, when I got back on the bike the Spec saddles weren't as comfortable. After trying other saddles, i tried an SMP Pro and it was a revelation.

You do have to understand that these saddles are <intended> to focus the weight on your sitbones——that way no soft tissue has much concentrated weight-bearing. People who don't have numbness or pain in the saddle don't "get" (or need) an SMP.

Eventually I switched to the Plus—it's basically the Pro with more cushioning. These are the widest SMP models, besides the cheaply made plastic covered ones like the TRK.

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,839 Posts
I have identical SMPs on two of my bikes. I was pro fitted (I strongly recommend doing this) for the first one. I tried three and all were the same width, so width isn't the main issue. This article seems to bear that out.

ALL ABOUT SMP'S - The Steve Hogg Bike Fitting Website

1 - 8 of 8 Posts