Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· likes to eat donuts
893 Posts
Duh!

It's not like we didn't see that coming! What about some of his CSF-Navigare teammates (ie: Baliani) who were also putting in some ridiculously 'superhuman' efforts during the Giro?

· Registered
11,561 Posts
giovanni sartori said:
One would conclude that Contador has also been tested and would have been tested as soon as the CERA test was approved.
One would like to think so, especially if there were any anomalies in his Giro tests or biopassport data. It is unfortunate when McQuaid says he can guarantee Contador is clean. I don't think UCI can control test results, but they very well may have significant say over who, when, and how often someone gets tested. One would hope Gripper and the anti-doping people are independent of the "politicians" like McQuaid.

· Registered
1,611 Posts

· Domestic Drivin' E-Thug
1,060 Posts
I was a among a handful of posters who were ripping into Sella, and especially that mountain time trial and the extra-human efforts pulled off by CSF-Navigare. First place and three of the top 5 finishers for that team? Yeah right!

And, not surprisingly, there were a few others that took us to task for doubting CSF. Where are you now? Come out and play.

So many of us race bikes. We know what it's like to train, what our bodies are capable of, when we're on form, and when we're not. Pros are paid to crush. It's their livelihood. Unlike us amateurs who give racing a backseat to other areas of our lives, this IS their life. They do what they can to kill it, get the contract, and stay employed.

Therefore, when you see some long time pro suddenly doing thing well, well, well beyond what he was ever capable of in the past, you cannot chalk it up to "a new pedaling style" as Sella did in a post-Giro article. That is just insulting. Where there's fire.... and unfortunately, we see quite a lot of fire.

· haole from the mainland
5,966 Posts
mohair_chair said:
It's kind of hard not to test the guy who wears the pink jersey for six days. It's mandatory.
But the CERA test wasn't ready until after the Giro. How many out of competition tests has Contador received since then? I think that's to what Dwayne Berry was referring.

I don't think it's safe to assume the UCI's testing is free of political interference. While some national federations (e.g., CONI) appear to be hard liners, Spain's is not one of them. So, I doubt Contador, Valverde, et al. have seen rigorous testing from their national federation.

· Registered
4,762 Posts
godot said:
Looks like the "Boulder Report" had this one nailed back in May
http://boulderreport.bicycling.com/2008/05/index.html

Interesting:

"I've asked a lot of people how they'd identify suspicious performances in racing and two things keep rising to the top:
-Beware of guys who come out of nowhere to instant glory and then disappear just as fast (see Rasmussen, Michael). If it seems like they're in the witness protection program and then all of a sudden are winning left and right, you've got to wonder what they're doing on their time off.
-Beware of performances that seem automatic; the "no bad days" issue. Simply put, that's not how human physiology works. You dig deep and then you need to recover."

· Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
The CERA test exists now, but it was in development then. I'm sure they ran some of the Giro samples through the unfinished test as test cases. I wonder if they preserved samples for anyone who came back as "interesting," so they could run them through the test when it was ready.

Also, regardless of whether the Spanish federation tests Contador, he is on Astana, which has the same internal testing system as Columbia, Garmin, and CSC. Make of that what you will, but he is certainly tested more than a lot of other riders.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.