Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dear members

I ride a Trek Madone 5.9 full carbon bike (2004 model), which came with the blue San Marco Aspide saddle with Team United States Postal Service embroidered on it.

Recently, I have noted a creaking sound when I pedal (sitting), and my riding buddy and I believe we correctly isolated it to the saddle. Thinking the seat may have been cracked, I have replaced it with a SELLA ITALIA SLR KIT CARBONIO.

Today we went for a ride and definitely much less creaking (none for the first 20 kilometers), but then it started again, but only very infrequently.

I thought the problem may be where the rails join the seat's shell at the front and the back.

Is there any chance of damaging the saddle (SELLA ITALIA SLR KIT CARBONIO - carbon & vanox rails, carbon shell) by lubricating (with a synthetic oil - Protecta) the points where the rails join the shell?

If not, I'm gonna try it.

Dave V.
Geelong, Australia

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
put grease/lubricant where the saddle rails are attached to the post. that is probably where it is creaking from. also put some on the seat post where it meets the seat tube and tighten appropiately. i did this and it stopped the creaking on my saddle.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
cmg said:
put grease/lubricant where the saddle rails are attached to the post. that is probably where it is creaking from. also put some on the seat post where it meets the seat tube and tighten appropiately. i did this and it stopped the creaking on my saddle.

Thanks.

1. Will carbon seatpost on carbon frame be a slippage problem?

2. Will the lube damage the carbon seat where the rails meets the shell, because I've already lubed it there!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Dave V. said:
Thanks.

1. Will carbon seatpost on carbon frame be a slippage problem?

2. Will the lube damage the carbon seat where the rails meets the shell, because I've already lubed it there!

I had a creaking in my saddle too. I tried eveything to stop it but nothing worked?
Further inspection, I found that one of the two bolts that hold the saddle on the seatpost was not as tight as the other.
After tourqueing them down the creak was gone, so make sure that the bolts are the same tourque.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wild Bill said:
I had a creaking in my saddle too. I tried eveything to stop it but nothing worked?
Further inspection, I found that one of the two bolts that hold the saddle on the seatpost was not as tight as the other.
After tourqueing them down the creak was gone, so make sure that the bolts are the same tourque.

Thanks Wild Bill. I'll try that if the lube doesn't work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts