Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Jack of no trades
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased the Iron Flow saddle to use on my indoor trainer bike, a Cannondale CAAD9. I want to like this saddle but I can't, for the life of me, get it set to a position where I feel comfortable on it. The sharp hard contour of it is akin to sitting on the edge of a counter. Eventually that point of contact at the base of the buttocks becomes extremely sore. Are there any tips or tricks for the proper positioning of this saddle?

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
No experience here, but that bizarre-looking thing is designed specifically for triathletes, isn't it? I think it's meant for riders who ride in a very forward position on the aerobars, on a bike with a very steep seat tube angle. If you're down forward enough, there's no contact with that ledge. At least, that seems to be the theory.

·
Jack of no trades
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it is a tri specific saddle. And that's likely the reason I have to shove the thing all the way back on the rails so my knees don't get sore for being too far forward. That said, on the indoor trainer, I do use tri bars so I can just lean forward and hammer. I guess what the problem is, is that the geometry of the CAAD is not suited to the saddle.

So ... the next question is: Does anyone want to buy a very slightly used Selle Italia Iron Flow???

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,818 Posts
Iron flow? Really? I thought this would be cheeky review of an uncomfortable gel flow saddle. You can't use Iron in a saddle name, even if it is for triathletes.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
I've seen a few comments about the sharp edge because it's so flat on top from side to side - the only way to make that work for me would be moving it back and sitting more on the nose - might require a different seat post with less set back to do and still be in a good location on the rails though. I had to go from a 20 to 5mm set back to get my Cobb Randee to fit right.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts