Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have almost everything to start my bike build, however, I have not purchased a saddle and am looking for some recommendations. I have always used Specialized saddles, the Toupe and the Avatar BG gel but have never used Selle Italia and am interested to try one out. I know a lot of people would say to stick with what works but I like to try different things.

I know its subjective & this, that and the other but what current model Selle would someone recommend for longer distances?

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
if you're completely happy w/ what you have, why change? if you're not happy, why consider one based on the brand alone? or why consider just one brand?

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FatTireFred said:
if you're completely happy w/ what you have, why change? if you're not happy, why consider one based on the brand alone? or why consider just one brand?
I already answered your first question in my initial post and I never said I wasn't happy....don't know where that came from. As far as one brand is concerned, I know Selle is obviously known for its saddles and was curious about other people's experience with them and what saddle someone would recommend for riding longer distances. This is my first "custom" build for me. I have never used SRAM components but I ordered a 2009 Rival grouppo. I have never ridden Neuvation wheels and I ordered a set of them along with their handlebars. Go easy on me man, I am just wanting to try some new things out that I have never used.

·
Poseur
1,408 Posts
I have a Selle Italia SLK Gel Flow and we got along OK. I did not get along with the Selle Italia Signo Gel Flow at all. But, I am most happy with my San Marco Rolls and it just looks classy.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
mikagsd said:
I already answered your first question in my initial post and I never said I wasn't happy....don't know where that came from. As far as one brand is concerned, I know Selle is obviously known for its saddles and was curious about other people's experience with them and what saddle someone would recommend for riding longer distances. This is my first "custom" build for me. I have never used SRAM components but I ordered a 2009 Rival grouppo. I have never ridden Neuvation wheels and I ordered a set of them along with their handlebars. Go easy on me man, I am just wanting to try some new things out that I have never used.

well then you already answered your second question ("I know its subjective & this..."), might as well just pull from a hat w/o any other info.

btw, did you know "selle" just means saddle, and there are also selle san marco, selle royal, selle smp brands out there?

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FatTireFred said:
well then you already answered your second question ("I know its subjective & this..."), might as well just pull from a hat w/o any other info.

btw, did you know "selle" just means saddle, and there are also selle san marco, selle royal, selle smp brands out there?
Fat tire Fred....I apologize that I am not as knowledgeable as you are or enlightened as you are. I am starting to realize that you are the bike god of the universe and unless someone agrees with your reasoning they are just plain stupid. Yes, I realize those other brands are out there but I specifically asked about one but instead I get a stupid tirad on why am I changing if I am not happy which I never said, I get yelled at about only looking at one brand, then I get questioned about other brands out there. Is it so difficult to stick to what my question was or do you ridicule everyone who posts a question looking for advice. I asked one question about one specific product, that's all.

·
Bluebiker
88 Posts
Selle Italia has some of the best quality out there. All of their higher end saddles $100 plus, are primo quality. I like the new Flite Gelflows, but only work if you have a narrow pelvis. Prolinks have a good reputation for comfort. SLR's work for a lot of people. They have a ton of different options.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I like the Selle Italia Flite, I use it on all my bikes, but it might not work work the OP For the OP, I would suggest you look at the width and length of the Specialized saddle you like now and compare that to saddles in the Selle Italia lineup to find one with similar dimensions and go from there.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know the size I would need is a 143...at least that is what I was sized for with the Specialized saddles on the @ss o meter.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
mikagsd said:
Fat tire Fred....I apologize that I am not as knowledgeable as you are or enlightened as you are. I am starting to realize that you are the bike god of the universe and unless someone agrees with your reasoning they are just plain stupid. Yes, I realize those other brands are out there but I specifically asked about one but instead I get a stupid tirad on why am I changing if I am not happy which I never said, I get yelled at about only looking at one brand, then I get questioned about other brands out there. Is it so difficult to stick to what my question was or do you ridicule everyone who posts a question looking for advice. I asked one question about one specific product, that's all.

thanks for the sig! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fred, you are more than welcome....at least I can make the day a little better for the biggest A-hole on this forum I have ever met. Glad it worked out for ya and that I could contribute.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
mikagsd said:
Fred, you are more than welcome....at least I can make the day a little better for the biggest A-hole on this forum I have ever met. Glad it worked out for ya and that I could contribute.

we've met? o rly???

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Butts is butts, but everybody's butt is different, so saddle recommendations ain't worth much.

That said, I rode Flites for many years and liked them, but more recently decided I wanted a saddle with a cutout, and after trying a few I settled happily on the SLR gel flow, which I have on 2 bikes and find entirely satisfactory. From pictures it appears to be similar in shape to the two Spec models you've used, so you might want to take a look at it.

Selle Italia makes quality stuff, in my limited experience, but so do a lot of saddle makers.

BTW, FTF, "selle" means "saddles." The singular is "sella."

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
FTF, all I did was ask a simple question and you go off on some stupid tangent about other brands and why I'm not happy and all this other crap. You are like a politician...someone asks a direct question and yet you can't answer it straight up.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
mikagsd said:
FTF, all I did was ask a simple question and you go off on some stupid tangent about other brands and why I'm not happy and all this other crap. You are like a politician...someone asks a direct question and yet you can't answer it straight up.

since when do you get a straight answer without going off-tanget on rbr?

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's funny, 3 or 4 other people on this thread have given a direct response with their experience and what has worked for them which is what I asked for regarding the Selle Italia brand. You on the other hand proceed to ask questions, repeat things I never said and all that good stuff. I know its hard for people like you to keep your mouth shut because you enjoy letting everyone else hear/read just how much you know.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
mikagsd said:
That's funny, 3 or 4 other people on this thread have given a direct response with their experience and what has worked for them which is what I asked for regarding the Selle Italia brand. You on the other hand proceed to ask questions, repeat things I never said and all that good stuff. I know its hard for people like you to keep your mouth shut because you enjoy letting everyone else hear/read just how much you know.

funny indeed... I'm repeating things you never said?
btw, going off-tangent is often how it works 'round here

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Easy there, grasshopper. FTF was just trying to save you a bunch of bucks and a sore ass by asking you a simple question in return of yours. Saddles are as personal as your ass, and people might know saddles but not know your ass and how a particular saddle would interact with it. The best you could get from this thread is "some Selle Italia saddles might work for you, and the majority of Selle Italia saddles probably won't". The ONLY way to find out is to try them out for your self and NOTHING anyone posts here has any influence on the outcome. Saddles are a black box item etc etc etc, HTH!

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
FatTireFred said:
funny indeed... I'm repeating things you never said?
btw, going off-tangent is often how it works 'round here
And I quote "if you are not happy, why consider based on the brand alone". I never said that in my original post...go back and read it. I said I like to try different things...I actually enjoy changing things up a bit. I specified in my post asking about this particular brand and which model could be recommended for longer distances...that could potentially get me pointed in the right direction since I have never owned a Selle saddle before. If I get a Selle saddle and don't like it, no problem, stick it on Ebay or here and sell it. No big deal. The whole point of this was to get some feedback/recommendations from people who use them.....that's all. God Almighty.....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts