Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Might anyone be able to recommend a dealer who has a good selection of Selle Italia saddles in NJ/PA/NY/FL? Looking to upgrade my old Selle but would like to get an in-person fit. Thanks ~

·
Never Give Up!
1,241 Posts
Try Strictly Bicycles in Fort Lee, NJ (201) 944-7074, haven't up there in a few years but they did carry a few Selle Saddles

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Why be attached to a single brand option? Go try saddles of all types and kinds until your azz says yessss. Ride it for a while to confirm. Saddles are very personal. Try lots.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why be attached to a single brand option? Go try saddles of all types and kinds until your azz says yessss. Ride it for a while to confirm. Saddles are very personal. Try lots.
Yeah, I hear ya - I've been looking but I'm kinda brand loyal and the Selle line has been really good to me. I'm open to other brands too so I'll keep up the search. Thanks.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I've had good luck with Selle Italia, too. BTW, this is a nit-pick, but it's not the "Selle line" -- the name is "Selle Italia". "Selle" is the plural of the Italian "sella," which means just "saddle." There are other companies that use the term in their names, including Selle San Marco, Selle Royal, and Selle SMP.

Sorry, I'm a grammar/usage nerd.

Have you looked at online sellers that have a tryout program? I think there are several that let you rent several saddles to try before you buy.

Which model are you replacing? And what do you like and/or not like about it? Might help narrow your requirements, so you can find a shop with a selection of likely fits, even if they don't have a very large selection.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for that.. Yeah, and being Italian with an Italian bike.. duh. smh.. That's what I get for not learning to speak the language..

Ok you just helped me out a lot. I was looking at all these different saddles not realizing that Italia and SMP were different companies. Oh geez..

I like the SLR Tekno Flow from Selle Italia.
https://www.selleitalia.com/en/saddles/slr-tekno-flow/

But, now I'm thinking to stay with SMP. The Evo that I have has been great. When I started looking I just went to Selle Italia not realizing that SMP has been making some incredible new models also. I'm replacing the SMP Evolution on my Oltre. I like the open design. It's the most comfortable saddle I've ever owned. I also like the width, shape and angle. It took me a while to find the Evo and I've put a lot of miles on it. Just looking like time to refresh things. I'd like it to be a bit lighter so maybe full carbon.

These two in particular - I need to stay with a narrow one. I'm under 150lbs.

Full Carbon
Carbon color

Thanks!!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Take a good look at the Selle Italia SLR Supper-Flow. Huge cut-out, minimal, dense padding and comes in narrow and wide sizes. I went from a Selle SMP Drakon to this and like it much better. As said before, it's a very individual thing, but worth a try. I get mine from Ribble or Pro Bike Kit for around $120 when a coupon code pops up.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
My take is if you have a saddle that works well for you, you'll only lose out trying to "upgrade" . I have a list of 3 or 4 " happy saddles" and if I need a new one I get one of those. I try out new saddles by riding whatever happens to be on a used bike I pick up.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Thanks for that.. Yeah, and being Italian with an Italian bike.. duh. smh.. That's what I get for not learning to speak the language..

Ok you just helped me out a lot. I was looking at all these different saddles not realizing that Italia and SMP were different companies. Oh geez..
Huh. Sometimes nitpicking words turns out to be substantive help (I was a philosophy major long ago, so I knew that, but sometimes I forget).

Glad I could help. Good luck with the search.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Sorry to be brand nerd, but Selle SMP, I believe, is the company that Selle San Marco used to be. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Sorry to be brand nerd, but Selle SMP, I believe, is the company that Selle San Marco used to be. :thumbsup:
Sella SMP:
"Selle SMP has been creating 100% made in Italy saddles since 1947, ...blah bah"

Sella San Marco:
"Closed in every San Marco saddle there is the history of a firm that has become the symbol of the Made in Italy...blaah, blah...Bicycle saddles handmade in Italy since 1935"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.