Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Selle SMP Lite 209 saddle. My question is how is the seat supposed to be positioned as far as leveling the saddle from front to rear? I know most saddles are supposed to be somewhat level but if I place a level on the SMP and level the saddle it seems way too nose high. I currently have the rails about level which places the nose of the saddle pointed downward but seems more comfortable. I looked at the Selle web site and it shows a level being placed on the saddle but the picture doesn't appear proportioned the same as the real saddle. Just curious if I have it positioned incorrectly, any help appreciated. Hopefully this makes a little sense.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help. I had my seat tilted forward way too much and couldn't find the instructions that came with it so this info was just what I was looking for. I just went in today and got re-fitted since I got a new saddle and new pedals but I bought the saddle from a different bike shop as mine doesn't sell the SMP. They didn't mention the tilt of the saddle so I guess this throws everything off again. I am doing the Houston-Austin MS150 this weekend and was trying to make sure my fit was correct as I have changed a few things. It looks as though I just need to lower the seat a little to compensate for the seat being more level. The seat has been comfortable and it wasn't positioned correctly so hopefully it will help even more.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
MS150 on a new saddle.

(((comfort)))

Be careful. I did 62 on a new bike, and a month later my left pointer finger is still numb. Going to se the doc about it tomorrow.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have had the saddle for over 3 weeks but I did not have it positioned correctly. I had it too nose low but I'll have to say it was still pretty comfortable but not correct. I went back and found the manual that came with it after looking at the link posted above, thanks for the info. I think after 100 miles my booty will be hurting anyway I look at then I get to get up and do 80 more the next day. It is supposed to rain the first day then pretty strong headwinds the second day. Hopefully the forecast will change.

By the way, are you doing the MS150 this weekend? I remembered you from another thread I think and believe you are from the Austin area.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I put a small board that is long enough to cross over both the nose and rear of the seat - placing my level on top to check for tilt. Then I had to move the saddle forward as compared to my old saddle for correct position in relation to the bottom bracket - that seemed to work for me as a starting point - then fiddled with the tilt from there for best "feel".

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's what I wound up doing and I will have to say Selle SMP has great customer service. I emailed them and they got right back to me with detail. Same experience before I purchased the saddle as no one in my area sold them that I knew of and they sent me a list of all retailers in the Houston area. Here is a great link they sent me that explains it also, I guess pretty simple but I did have mine too low. I wanted to make sure it was right before this weekend. It is supposed to rain heavily, any suggestions for protecting the saddle rather than putting a leather conditioner on it? I know they sell something to protect it but it is too late to order now from them. Thanks for all of the help.

www.albabici.com/selle/fit/fit-smp-saddle.htm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.