Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone!

i am currently selling a bike on craigslist, and i sell many bikes and cycling relating things on craigslist in general, and was just wondering: is it just in NYC that jerkoffs lowball the hell out of you, then after a polite decline in response to the lowball offer, go off on a rant at you? or is this a general craigslist phenomenon? or i guess it is probably just an internet phenomenon... either way, one of those things that really bugs me, but probably shouldn't.

a guy just offered me 1/6 of my asking price for a mint condition bike i just put up...

anyway.

long live the internet.

best,

o

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,299 Posts
For all kinds of items, I always get the lowball offers on Craigslist. Also on Ebay if I put "best offer."

It is annoying, but ya know I can't blame them - it does work for them some of the time.

For some people, it is worth it to give up on the hassle of listing and selling - so they will take a lowball offer. Let's face it - trading in your car at the dealership is shrugging and taking the lowball offer just to avoid the hassle of selling it yourself for much more. In economics, they call it the transaction cost: sure, there is a buyer and a seller, but there is also the cost in time and effort and money to carry out a transaction that we factor in when we want to buy something or sell something.

I think it is people who lowball everything, and resell when they are successful.

But they don't get rude. --You just got a rude lowballer.

Who knows - this is probably the same person who will turn around and list it for MSRP.

You can either give a clever retort, or ignore.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, it certainly does work sometimes, no doubt. the 'transaction cost' is certainly a big factor for a lot of people. luckily, i like working on my bikes and don't mind swapping components around to build up a frame i am phasing out of the herd into a complete bike for a salable price...

i am too nice, i always respond politely... but, why people get rude or 'high and mighty', i.e." that will never sell, get back to me when it doesn't", is beyond me.

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
On the buyer's side, it offends me when the seller says something like "mint" or "9.5 out of 10," but you get there to find out they grossly exaggerated. Hard to tell by their crappy iphone pics, before hurriedly driving across town.

Anyway, just stay nice and polite. You're acting the right way.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, i definitely don't misrepresent my items. i buy a fair share of stuff off of craigslist and surprisingly i haven't had any bad experiences as a buyer... knock on wood.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Yep, my experience trying to sell stuff on Craigslist in the DC area. Half the time, the buyer doesn't even show up, and when they do, they always try to low ball. And since I've already invested my time waiting for them, I usually accept less just to get rid of whatever it is I'm selling.

The best experience I had was with a 42" picture tube TV in my basement. Not a flat screen. It must have weighed 200 lbs. I put an ad on Craigslist "free TV -- you haul out of my basement". I explain that this thing is big and heavy. I get a call from this woman -- I want it. OK, but it's pretty heavy. She shows up the next day -- alone. She must weigh all of 120 lbs, and she's driving a tiny car. She checks it out -- oh, it is pretty big and heavy -- I'll come back. So the next day she comes back with a big SUV and help -- another 120 lbs woman. The two of them can't pick it up. One of them even mentions a boyfriend who obviously is too smart to get involved with this. So I bust my @ss hauling this TV out the walk out door and around the house to their SUV using a moving dolly I have. The three of us damn near dropped the thing getting it into the truck. I think that's the last thing I sold on Craigs List.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I've sold a bike on Craigslist recently. I specifically stated the requirement that it's cash & carry only, meaning that the buyer shows up where I am and carry it away. I received 3 offers and the second offer guy followed exactly that. He negotiated for little less at the spot and I accepted. All worked out fine. However, after this transaction, the first one to responded to my ad, sent me another offer asking if I would sell it for $## less and bring the bike to him. What a jerkoff.

They are like virus, no matter where you go in this world, they are always around. Only thing you can do is to be ready.

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
It might even just be best to ignore those who give the ridiculous offers. They're obviously not serious about buying, so why waste your time?

If you do respond, try creating a sense of urgency. Tell them you've had several people text you about the bike in the past couple days but that no one has had the time to make it out to see it yet. If you can get that person to at least show up to see the bike in person, you stand a much greater chance of getting them to buy, because then you can demonstrate the great value you're offering.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
Tell them you've had several people text you about the bike in the past couple days but that no one has had the time to make it out to see it yet. If you can get that person to at least show up to see the bike in person, you stand a much greater chance of getting them to buy, because then you can demonstrate the great value you're offering.
That is a great thing to highlight as long as it's true. No one desires to deal with a guy that BSs to make a sale. I prefer to not be that guy when selling.

Sell items that can be easily shipped on e-Bay with a buy it now and NO best offer. The e-bay + PayPal fee of 12+/-% is well worth the saved time of meeting people to complete the transaction.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Sell items that can be easily shipped on e-Bay with a buy it now and NO best offer. The e-bay + PayPal fee of 12+/-% is well worth the saved time of meeting people to complete the transaction.
There's still plenty of douchebags that will message saying the price is too high and blah blah. There's no escaping the douchebags. At least on ebay you can block those fools from ever being able to buy anything from you.

·
Banned
748 Posts
I have a completely different take; 1) If your trying to sell a bike on craigslist for more then a couple of hundred bucks, your most likely marketed the bike in the wrong spot.. Craigslist is the internet version of the flea market. 2) Low ball works!!! Its called haggling,, Its not personal, its a game of how much of my money can I keep in my pocket. No works, if you do not like the offer tell them no or counter offer. If they get rude, just increase the price, might as well have a little fun..

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Re: transaction cost.

We live in a relatively small isolated town so our pool of potential buyers is kind of small. When my wife (5'1") listed her size XS full sus mtb on CL, the number of 6' dudes and girly girls wanting a townie bike that showed up to look at it - along with scammers wanting to involve their "agent" - was overwhelming.

We took down the add and sold it via word of mouth through the local bike club. It took a little while but the hassle of meeting with CL shoppers who had no idea what they were looking for was WAY more than we could deal with.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I've sold lots of bikes on Craigslist. I mention in my ad that the price is firm, and I mention it again in email before I meet the person just to make sure. I always make them drive to me. Sure, some of them try to lowball me, but most people, by the time they've driven out to meet you with two reminders the price is firm, are willing to pay the asking price, they're just giving it a shot. So I say no, then they (usually) end up buying it. Sure, highlighting the price is firm in the ad and again via email keeps some people from coming to look at it, but I figure those are the timewasters.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I think it probably differs by area. In Minneapolis, there are tons of cyclists and bike people. Most of them generally know how much a bike is worth. I've had good experiences selling and buying bikes on craigslist here. Buying from the local facebook "Twin Cities bicycle area trading post" is way better though, because those people all know something about bikes.

I sold my motobecane road bike (which I bought for $450 and rode for 3k miles) for $375 on craigslist after two days of it being listed. The guy showed up, gave me the full amount in cash, we chatted about bikes, he took it for a spin, and took off. That's a typical transaction for me.

I sold a car on craigslist too, and that was horrible. So many lowballers and scammers and "would you trade it for this dirt bike" people. I eventually got full price, but what a hassle.

·
Schuylkill Trail Bum
5,142 Posts
It might even just be best to ignore those who give the ridiculous offers. They're obviously not serious about buying, so why waste your time?

If you do respond, try creating a sense of urgency. Tell them you've had several people text you about the bike in the past couple days but that no one has had the time to make it out to see it yet. If you can get that person to at least show up to see the bike in person, you stand a much greater chance of getting them to buy, because then you can demonstrate the great value you're offering.
That's my technique too. Just ignore idiots and their idiotic offers.

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
That is a great thing to highlight as long as it's true. No one desires to deal with a guy that BSs to make a sale. I prefer to not be that guy when selling.
But how would you know it's true? If you think someone is BS'ing you, are you going to demand proof that they've received a lot of inquiries on the item in question? Because that will certainly move things forward... :rolleyes:

I have a completely different take; 1) If your trying to sell a bike on craigslist for more then a couple of hundred bucks, your most likely marketed the bike in the wrong spot.. Craigslist is the internet version of the flea market. 2) Low ball works!!! Its called haggling,, Its not personal, its a game of how much of my money can I keep in my pocket. No works, if you do not like the offer tell them no or counter offer. If they get rude, just increase the price, might as well have a little fun..
The one time I sold a bike on Craigslist it was my 7.5-year-old Orbea Onix. I got my asking price of $1000.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
i never get any low ball offers. my ads are comprehensive and contain the max number of photos (24). i also upload photos to flickr and point the buyer to that site for high-res pics.

the more serious and comprehensive your ad is, the more serious your potential buyer is.

use email only until you plan to meet.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts