Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

I've got my Bianchi endurance bike for sale in the classifieds (and other places) and I haven't gotten many bites yet.
I'd like to seek your advice. Yes, I know that endurance bikes with caliper brakes aren't the preference these days, but with this specific bike and build: My Bianchi listing would it be better to break it down and sell it part by part or am I just priced too high?

I would love to get some feedback. I'm not strapped and needing this to be a fire sale, but I'm having a new bike built and I'd like to make room for it by finding a new home for the Bianchi.

Please let me know how to improve my chances of finding a buyer (or buyers if I should part it out).
Thank you

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Marketplace and Craig’s List.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have it on Craigslist, but I'll look into Marketplace...on Facebook if I remember correctly. thank you.
I was thinking about offer up, but I think that more for deals etc.

·
Opus was just napping
21,671 Posts
When I went on a bike selling spree recently, I found those that had the most value were the least valuable. I sold a mountain bike and an old litespeed in 1 afternoon, but they were priced to move. A more spendy road bike has gotten very little bites, was fortunate that I sold my TT bike to pros closet (at a price I could not believe) just before they went on a bike buying hiatus (which still continues), but the long and the short is that at least in my experience people are looking for a bargain on craigslist. But you may have to wait a bit to sell a bike that has a pricetag $$$.

Reactions: DIV

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,445 Posts
Craigslist is a bargain for buyers, eBay and Facebook Marketplace is a success for sellers. If you are willing to ship, eBay is your best bet. If not, Facebook Marketplace is where you need to be.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Bike Manufacturers get severely disappointed learning a dealer is parting out complete bikes in order to make sales of frames and forks. Sell it complete and avoid the bullshit.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bike Manufacturers get severely disappointed learning a dealer is parting out complete bikes in order to make sales of frames and forks. Sell it complete and avoid the bullshit.
If I had to resort to parting it out, my local shop is not a Bianchi dealer, but anyways, it would be my last resort, for sure.
Thank you all....

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Not sure what you mean here... this isn’t a dealer, well, I don’t think...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
If I had to resort to parting it out, my local shop is not a Bianchi dealer, but anyways, it would be my last resort, for sure.
Thank you all....
You may want to park it outside that shop. Casually mention this is 'complete bike only' in description, keep it on the up n' up.

Not sure what you mean here... this isn’t a dealer, well, I don’t think...
Could just be a very very very small dealer. Maybe the first sale. Didn't say that.

...but also didn't not say that. Best to approach advice on the internet from all facets, I always say sometimes.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,288 Posts
How much is your time worth? Is the extra money you MIGHT get worth the time to set up multiple ads, deal with questions for each, ship each?

That's really the first question you should ask yourself.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,445 Posts
How much is your time worth? Is the extra money you MIGHT get worth the time to set up multiple ads, deal with questions for each, ship each?

^^^This.^^^

·
Registered
4,987 Posts

Yep. You will wind up selling a few parts. The remaining parts will live somewhere in your garage for eternity because it was enough of a PITA to sell what you managed to unload.

I have plenty of spare parts should anyone be looking… That’s how I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You may want to park it outside that shop. Casually mention this is 'complete bike only' in description, keep it on the up n' up.
thank you for all the responses. Regarding “Feels on Wire”’s quote above….does my description sound like this is not a ad for a complete bike? If so, I will definitely change the part of the description that suggests otherwise….

·
Registered
20 Posts
FonW ....
probably want to take his posts as casual ideas.
Happened to be wearing a red Cummerbund while searching the Internet that day. Was not a casual day, in fact was not even a 'business-casual' day. You may be confused with someone else.

thank you for all the responses. Regarding “Feels on Wire”’s quote above….does my description sound like this is not a ad for a complete bike? If so, I will definitely change the part of the description that suggests otherwise….
Sass things up, whichever path it is.

Example: arrange an array of X-Men figurines on a table (using a clean table cloth) behind the bike before setting up display at the shop. Including the X-Men will appeal to an international buyer's taste, while drawing appeal to the needs of a massively upscale, discernable client.

X-Men Mutants - they were initially described to resemble Human Beings, assigned Tariffs of Dolls - a rate 5.2% higher than what's applicable to Toys. (Toy Biz Inc. v. United States, 2003 filed on appeal changed this stipend and, also History?) Inviting conversation amongst potential buyers a backstory of Harmonized Tariff schedule's impact on retail-pricing - while not electing to part out componentry in order to avoid Foreign Import Tax on Complete Bicycles proves a caring seller. Important.

In fact, furnishing this environment will be completely the opposite of Lyndon Johnson's Chicken-Tax-cum-Ford-Motor-Company importing Transit Vans to the US from Turkey. A no-brainer.

Just one McDonald's Burp away from a solid transaction.

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,426 Posts
My experience on parting-out bikes is thus: Derailleurs and brifters sell quickly, good saddles too, and decent wheelsets also sell well. Pedals and brake calipers have a quick turnover, but don't sell for as much. Stems, bars and cranksets take longer to sell, and frames, unless it's something really special, go for a lot less than they are worth (and take up a lot of space). About half of the frames of bikes I've parted-out ended up getting donated or scrapped (but a good number of bikes I actually parted-out were wrecked, anyway). And NOBODY wants tubular wheelsets, so I just sold the hubs separately. I've got about 6 pairs of tubular rims decorating my basement walls....

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I’ll part it out if I have to, and wouldn’t mind keeping those wheels as a spare set.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts