Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking of selling some of my cycling stuff on Ebay through a consignment shop. While they may charge a pretty high percentage of the purchase price, I don't have time to post everything and answer e-mails regarding an auction. Has anyone out there done this with cycling equipment - grouppos, frames, wheels. I'm just trying to get rid of the projects that I never got around to.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
if you have time to be on rbr you can do ebay

just put all the info you can think of (why selling, miles, condition, etc)
and a good hi res pic
even if you don't answer questions someone will bid if it is a fair price
nothing wrong with doing consignment, but unless you really have no computer, no camera, etc it does not take much time to use ebay.

good luck
jim

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. I was just thinking that since I only have 9 feedback statements I would be better off with a consignment shop. I wouldn't have to deal with the hassle of packing and shipping the goods, as well.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I use a consignment shop because, like you, I don't want to deal with e-mails or shipping, and I refuse to have anything to do with PayPal. I'm also a lot happier not dealing with eBay directly. Been there, done that. It's worth it to me to pay the commission and get the convenience. I've got approx. 55 bikes, and I want to sell about half of them, so I don't want to be making a career of managing all those auctions personally.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
okay 55 bikes is a lot

are any size 56-58?
seriously for the OP--if your volume is not that high or not as big as an entire bike, then you can easily manage. list a few things every saturday or sunday evening (best for me as i find more people are home to bid)--this allows folks on both coasts to bid, then mail them that week on the way to work, at lunch, or on the way home or have someone drop them off for you. it is really not that bad until you start hauling the huge bike boxes around.
i buy stuff all the time from guys with low feedback--usually nothing big-ticket, but still after a few small things you won't have a feedback of 9 anymore.
i like paypal for the instant convenience and tracking.
anyway, to each his own. like i said I have both bought/sold stuff without getting/giving the answer to a question.

good luck with whatever you do

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Also, a feedback of 9 at 100% isn't a deterrent for me at all. Especially if you have been a member for a while.

I hate eBay's policies and service, but if you know what your doing, it is a great way to make some cash on your unused or old stuff.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Couple questions.

First what commission are they charging? Do make a % of the shipping?

I always see ridiculous shipping and handling from the consignment people. It leads me to believe that they pad the shipping cost so that they can make more back end money.

i.e. Bike sells for $250 + $95 shipping. Say they make 20% commission on the $250, which is $50, but the actual shipping cost is $35, so they pocket another $60.

IMO, the final price is cut short because of the high shipping cost.

I think that is why they never combine shipping or give discounts on multiple items.

These are all only my hypothesis, I don't know for sure. Please enlighten me.

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
The Walrus said:
I use a consignment shop because, like you, I don't want to deal with e-mails or shipping, and I refuse to have anything to do with PayPal. I'm also a lot happier not dealing with eBay directly. Been there, done that. It's worth it to me to pay the commission and get the convenience. I've got approx. 55 bikes, and I want to sell about half of them, so I don't want to be making a career of managing all those auctions personally.
Jesus christ on a crutch.

·
Racial Profiler
348 Posts
handsomerob said:
These are all only my hypothesis, I don't know for sure. Please enlighten me.
A consignment shop would charge $95 as shipping and handling. There is a real cost associated with boxing a bike and bringing it to UPS. You or I may just use boxes laying around and go to the PO on our lunch hour, wheras they may have a paid employee, or calculate it as a wage for themselves. Shipping and packing supplies have a cost, and the actual packaging is employee manhours. You wouldn't do your job for free, would you?

I spent about 8-10 hours snapping pictures, posting items, answering questions, and making trips to the post office. Even at minimum wage, that is at least $80.

Other fees they are trying to offset are the Ebay and PayPal fees. I just sold approx $1200 worth of stuff on Ebay. Everyone execpt 2 people used PayPal. By the time I was done, there was almost 10% lost profit due to Ebay and PayPal fees.

However, $1000 is a lot more money and went a lot more quickly than selling locally, so it becomes a necessary evil.

I ain't sayin it's right, but I make sure to calculate the shipping / handling into the actual price I am willing to pay. It's not a $500 bike with $95 shipping, it's a $600 bike. If you're selling, make sure you are OK with your $600 bike netting you $400.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
yeah that is how i felt too

but it is inspiring in a sick sort of way
i do believe i've been in shops with fewer

anyway, as to shipping i think many sellers often charge really high costs--regardless of how one may try to justify it. maybe i am really efficient, but it takes me less than an hour to take pics and load them onto ebay listings--i usually sell only 3-7 items at one go. tehn less than an hour to pack all of them unless it is a bike itself--that is maybe an hour to do very carefully.

you can alwasy find stores/shops selling the same item to get a fair idea of shipping cost (and i don't mean a bohemeth like amazon)

jim

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll have to check out the consignment shop and see.

I'm going to have a size 56cm Colnago CT-1 on the auction block if you're interested.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks. I didn't know that was how they operated. I bet they do pocket the shipping and handling. I guess I'm okay with getting less $ for my stuff. I just need to get it the heck out of my house.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Franchise said:
I've been thinking of selling some of my cycling stuff on Ebay through a consignment shop. While they may charge a pretty high percentage of the purchase price, I don't have time to post everything and answer e-mails regarding an auction. Has anyone out there done this with cycling equipment - grouppos, frames, wheels. I'm just trying to get rid of the projects that I never got around to.

Thanks.
Hi Franchise.
Another option you could look at is a "trading assistant". If you search on ebay using your zip code you might be able to find an individual who would be willing to work with you. You might be able to negotiate a lower fee because of volume. I'm speaking in generalities but usually it's either the brick&mortar storefront franchises that will sell your stuff or individuals who turned ebay selling from a hobby to a business. Also I believe that individual sellers get more bids and better prices than those b&m sell on ebay stores. I think it has something to do with how that auctions look and the fact that individuals are more in line with the "spirit" of ebay. I sell some stuff for a couple of bike shops and a lot of riding buddies and even a sponsored pro. The reason is because I get good prices for their stuff. You could ask around at the LBS's, you might find out about someone who sells stuff on the side.

2wheelsport

·
100% torqued
766 Posts
Walrus where are you, I will do it for you. I find it entertaining. I have been selling for over a year now, no problems. I guess it's who you are. I'm in Northern KY. Got an entire shop in my garage, and dumpster dive at the local toy store for packaging.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I will definitely look into that. Thanks a lot. I never knew that could be an option. I wondered how a lot of NOS stuff got onto ebay from LBS's.

·
Administrator
13,009 Posts
Many Ebay helper shops will not have the ability to properly pack and ship a bike up to the specs of UPS or FedEx (or answer questions about bikes either). When a bike gets crushed in shipping (if you are selling 25 bikes, the chances are pretty good, sad to say), UPS will say improper packing, we aren't paying. Buyer will say damaged goods, I want my money back. Packer will blame UPS. You get no money and a broken bike.

Better approach- use a local bike shop to pack and ship the bike for you (they already have the boxes and UPS account). Further, they are experts and it helps refute the improper packing claim UPS ALWAYS uses (they could punch a 3' by 3' hole in the box and still claim that).

Better yet, seeing this is the slow season for many shops (and many of them have Ebay accounts and can answer questions, maybe they could list, sell, and ship the bikes for you for a fee).

:)

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Of course they pocket the shipping and handling--they're taking care of it, not the "seller". The outfit I use pays an LBS to do the packaging; if you live in an area where there are multiple franchises for the broker, call them and find out what the cost is for packaging. Picking the franchise that's going to be charging the least will scare off fewer potential buyers. One quirk I encountered was that one franchise flatly refused to deal with framesets, because they said no one would be willing to pay the high packaging cost for such a "cheap" auction item; I called a couple of other locations, and they had no problems with framesets at all. I also got a bit of a break on the fees at one place because I could supply bike boxes and bike-specific packing items that I'd accumulated over the years.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Hmmmmm...lemme see: a couple of dozen bikes to be shipped from CA to KY for packaging.... But wait! I'd have to package 'em first to ship 'em to you. ...or rent a shipping container--you anywhere near a rail yard? I'm betting if I'm lucky, I'd just be able to break even :D

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
I can't tell if I ruffled some feathers here, but I want to clarify my point just the same. I understand that a "handling" charge is appropiate for materials and labor, however $95 for shipping and handling goes beyond what I would consider reasonable.

Also, no one has specified what % commission these shops normally charge.

Also, I am very familiar with eBay fees. I figure on about $5 for the listing fee, 3% for PayPal fees, and the eBay Final Value Fee averages out to about 2-3%.

As far as shipping and handling goes. If I had a consignment shop or was a listing assistant, I can assure you that I would probably be very efficient at packing and have a good and inexpensive resource for the packing materials. It would not take me 8 hours labor to do a listing.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts