Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Tourist
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sold a frame to a guy in France - although I'm french myself, I have no experience on ways to deal with customs there. What should I declare on the package ? Unfortunately, the value declared for insurance is the same as the value declared for customs (this is on the same form). For example, one canadian buyer recently asked me to declare 'canadian goods returning' on some components that I was sending. Also, what percentage would you expect to pay in customs fees on frames ?

·
Registered
110 Posts
What courier are you using?

·
Tourist
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
USPS global express mail. Fast, it worked well in the past and is like 4-5 times cheaper than Fedex/DHL/UPS. But insurance amount is written on the same form as customs, so it has more or less to be the same amount.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Pierre said:
USPS global express mail. Fast, it worked well in the past and is like 4-5 times cheaper than Fedex/DHL/UPS. But insurance amount is written on the same form as customs, so it has more or less to be the same amount.
I asked my girlfriend who works as a Import/Export administrator admin. she said with USPS, once it's out of the country they have nothing to do with the shippment and if it gets seized by french customs you are S.O.L.

She also said that the insurance amount should equal the value declared and if it doesn't the chance of it not clearing customs goes way up!

The nice thing about UPS and Fedex is that they have agents that will help in these matters.

·
gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
I'd recommend using USPS registered airmail instead of Global Express. IIRC There's no way to trace the global express, and from my experience registered airmail is just as fast, if not faster.

Pierre said:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.