Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just when I thought that my Phil Wood bottom bracket had survived the 43 straight days of rain, I find out the bearings are trashed. I had a noise that I first attributed to worn cleats on my SPD sandals, then to the pedals. I would have never thought that my PW bb was bad. I pulled the crankarms and could barely turn the spindle by hand. It made crunchy sounds. I emailed PW tonight to get a shipping number to mail it in for a bearing replacement. $35 seems like a pretty good deal to get it overhauled with new bearings. Has anyone here ever had to send theirs in?

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
bigbill said:
Just when I thought that my Phil Wood bottom bracket had survived the 43 straight days of rain, I find out the bearings are trashed. I had a noise that I first attributed to worn cleats on my SPD sandals, then to the pedals. I would have never thought that my PW bb was bad. I pulled the crankarms and could barely turn the spindle by hand. It made crunchy sounds. I emailed PW tonight to get a shipping number to mail it in for a bearing replacement. $35 seems like a pretty good deal to get it overhauled with new bearings. Has anyone here ever had to send theirs in?
Mine developed a click. Same deal as you, sent it back and got new bearrings cheaper than a new Shimano BB. Since then, it's been on two bikes over three years and spins for days.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts