Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to ride the Santa Fe Century again this year, and I need to get my Merckx there safely. I have a crateworks box (www.crateworks.com)

Wondering if anyone has suggestions about getting my bike there. I'll probably fly out of Baltimore Washington International airport.

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
Get with Scotty and have him beam it there.

OK I've never shipped a bike os I can't give you any real advice.

·
Registered
171 Posts
If you can afford to......

Pay the extra baggage fees and check the bike on the plane with you. I'm not familiar with your particular bike box, but I have flown with bikes before, and I feel it is the best way to get your bike there without damage, if your box is sturdy enough.

The other reasonable option is shipping via UPS or Fed-Ex, and hoping for the best. You will also have to have someone in Santa Fe to take delivery from the shipper. Cheaper, but riskier, IMHO.

Good Luck!

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
It's generally $80 each way to take it on the plane with you. You'd have to call or go online to get a quote from FedEx or UPS. The advantage to taking it on the plane is that you have the bike to ride right up to the day you leave and have it when you arrive. The disadvantages are; it's more costly and you have to lug it through the airport.

It's less costly to ship it UPS or FedEx but you have more planning to do. You have to ship it early enough to ensure it will be there when you get there which means probably a week ahead of time. You won't have the bike for a week after the event, either. You have to arrange to ship it to a LBS or some other place willing to accept your bike and hold it for you. You have to find a FedEx or UPS depot to ship it back or have the LBS or other place hold and ship it for you.

To me it's worth the cost and hassle of lugging the bike through the airport to make sure I've got it when I need it and want it. Either way you have to make sure you've got a vehicle big enough to transport the bike in Santa Fe.

I'm not sure airline baggage handlers are any easier on packages than UPS or FedEx. It's a crapshoot when it comes to handling no matter what. Good packing is the key and with a hardside bike case I wouldn't worry too much either on the plane or shipping.

·
Registered
90 Posts
stuart said:
I'm planning to ride the Santa Fe Century again this year, and I need to get my Merckx there safely. I have a crateworks box (www.crateworks.com)

Wondering if anyone has suggestions about getting my bike there. I'll probably fly out of Baltimore Washington International airport.

Go with it or you will miss it......C

1 - 5 of 5 Posts