Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We lost my father 25 years ago today..... He died of a brain tumor at 52 years old.

I'm 52 years old so as long as I don't get hit by a bus before 11:00 am, I will officially outlive my father...

Attached is my favorite picture.... even though he was disabled by numerous strokes, he managed to climb the 120 steps of Blarney Castle and kiss the Blarney stone....

I miss you dad.....

·
Eddy 53:11
3,159 Posts
You can do it Dave.

·
Still On Steel
2,391 Posts
My dad is 83, and at that stage in his life when his failing memory and hearing often make it supremely exasperating just to be around him.

This thread reminds me that there are far worse alternatives.

A poignant remembrance, Dave. I'll bet right now your dad is smiling down on you just like he is in that picture.

·
Don't Tread on Me
993 Posts
Sorry about your loss.

It's threads like this that make me make the most of the little time I'm able to spend with my father. He's 76, and lives in Florida. I've tried living there to be closer to him, and that place just brings out the absolute WORST in me. I'm the most miserable ba$tard when I'm in south Florida.

I'm in FL now, leaving this am to head back to Colorado. I'll remember your post as I spend today with him, and likely won't see him to at least next year, and perhaps not for another 12 months.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
We did alot of Irish things

at my dad's funeral in June. My sister researched alot of things, readings, did a shot of Irish Whiskey at the conclusion of the viewing, songs.................I feel your pain.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I officially passed my dad's age at death 6 years ago, it really makes it sink in how young they were and how much life they missed. It's a difficult thing, but we'll all meet again.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
I was getting that way too, don't do that

Allez Rouge said:
My dad is 83, and at that stage in his life when his failing memory and hearing often make it supremely exasperating just to be around him.

This thread reminds me that there are far worse alternatives.

A poignant remembrance, Dave. I'll bet right now your dad is smiling down on you just like he is in that picture.
I always had to fight the urge to do what I wanted to do vs taking him out to visit people because alot of the time he would not remember any details of things 3 minutes after they happened. I always thought that old warhorse would live to 100, he far out lived any doctors expectations. I was pretty sure he wouldn't survive the final battle when I saw him seizing up in the ambulance. Enjoy the time you have with them, honor your father and mother.

·
Proud luddite
7,192 Posts
I lost my dad 6 years ago but got him back. He was "dead on the table", but thankfully since it happened in the hospital, they resuscitated him, did emergency heart surgery, and he's alive and kicking today at age 81. I wasn't ready to lose him then, but in the last 6 years I've been able to say the things to him that I always meant to say, and when he does pass I will be ready.

For those of you whose fathers are still alive, treasure your time with them. If you live far away, call and talk to them on a regular basis. Go visit with them, tell them about your kids, tell them about your life....just talk. Tell them you love them, even if it feels awkward. You'll never be able to do these things once they pass.

·
Clyde-o-Matic
713 Posts
Dave - thanks for sharing. My son was born 12 years ago today so I appreciate the reminder to try to be a good dad even with all the tween drama we have going on.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Nice tribute Dave! Way to make a tear roll down my cheek this morning. :sad: I was feeling a bit melancholy this morning when I realized it's 2 days before the 2nd anniv. of my father's passing. He was 64, so I've still got almost 25yrs to catch that mark. Be sure to hug Hickey jr. tight today!
RIP

·
Roll Out Jeremy
1,785 Posts
Nice tribute Dave

How incredibly fortunate I am to have the same kind of memories of my dad that you cherish with yours. In 25 years I hope I can make the same kind of poast...

·
noble dirtbag
98 Posts
My dad

I am typing this from my laptop in a spare bedroom at my mom and dad's home. She is 85 and he is 93. They are both frail and have numerous health problems but they are still able to take care of most of their daily needs and live in their own home. I decided a few months ago that I needed to be here for them as much as possible even though my wife and I live over a hundred miles away. So I am here with them ever other week, just helping with the little things like grocery shopping and taking care of the house. Even though it meant giving up my job and spending time apart from my wife and son I know that the right thing to do is to give my parents the piece of mind that my presence here provides.
Thanks Dave for giving me just a little more validation. Once they are gone it's too late to wonder what you could have done to let them know how much you care.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Sorry to hear Dave. 52 is much too young. Best wishes to you today but it sounds like you and your dad had a great relationship.

My dad dies of malignant mesothelioma in 1985. He was 72 at the time. I was very close to my father. However, my father and I were both non-verbal, so we never talked much. He was always working, I went away to school, got married, then moved cross country. We visited whenever possible, even when his illness was getting the better of him. The day after his funeral, I ran to the cemetery to say my last rest-in-peace, in silence. I'm sorry we never talked. We just felt actions speak louder than words. Hopefully you got to talk with your dad.

·
half-fast
7,377 Posts
It'll be 8 years for me in December since my pop died. Mrs 10ae lost her mom in March.

It's a tough thing. Right now I'm watching my mom's dog so she could go to clean out her parent's home. I guess being a grownup never gets much easier.

You were young to lose your pop.

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
It's only been 3 years since I lost my dad. Knowing you have made it 25 years gives me strength that I can make it through. I know hard it is to miss your dad.

·
Alien Musician
4,537 Posts
Dave: that hits close to home. I also lost my dad at 52 but from a heart attack.

I was 11 at the time so in some ways I never really knew him as an adult which I would have wanted to talk to him man to man but that never got to happen.

I'm 47 now so in five years I'll be his age. Given his health habits versus mine, God willing, I will outlive him but it's a sad thing.

35 years since his departure - a lifetime really.

RIP.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts