Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Almost Not a Newbie
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been riding a Sequoia Elite, with great satisfaction, for almost a year now, but I find myself lusting after the Roubaix. Don't know why. What are the differences, other than bling, between the two models, level for level (i.e., Sequoia Elite v. Roubaix Elite). The geometry seems very similar, and I've already upgraded my wheels.

The Sequoia feels and looks like an all-rounder, no-nonsense bike, esp. with its braze-ons for a rack, etc.

·
Registered
309 Posts
bernmart said:
I've been riding a Sequoia Elite, with great satisfaction, for almost a year now, but I find myself lusting after the Roubaix. Don't know why. What are the differences, other than bling, between the two models, level for level (i.e., Sequoia Elite v. Roubaix Elite). The geometry seems very similar, and I've already upgraded my wheels.

The Sequoia feels and looks like an all-rounder, no-nonsense bike, esp. with its braze-ons for a rack, etc.
I recently went from a '03 Allez Elite to a '05 Roubaix Comp. The Allez is pretty similar to the Sequoia, with the main difference being the adjustability of components. Big jump between the two bikes for me. The geometry with the Roubaix is a little different than I had the Allez set up for, and I upgraded the wheels, but I noticed a more comfortable ride immediately. Whether it's the carbon vs. aluminum frame, or the longer wheelbase of the Roubaix (which I suspect is more likely), the Roubaix is definitely more comfortable on longer rides.

Also, I have increased my speed significantly since picking up the Roubaix. My position changed somewhat (more upright), and there's a big mental effect with getting a new bike, but I was pretty surprised to beat my best time on my normal loop by 1 mph. This was unexpected.

In any case, I'm really happy with my Roubaix.

·
Dropout
328 Posts
I asked that question in this thread:
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=18784

Like you, I liked the Sequoia--almost bought it--but I loved the Roubaix. Immediately I felt at home on the bike; it was easy to ride, fast, and smooth. I bought it. It became my midlife crisis bike, much cheaper and healthier than a Harley or a Porsche.

Keep fenders, rack, and wider tires on your Sequoia so you always have a bike ready for rain or commuting. For that purpose I ended up resurrecting my old steel Mercian. I took up cycling in the late 60's; I have to have a lugged steel bike in my stable. And even compared to the silky Roubaix, the Mercian rides really nicely, but doesn't feel as light and fast. It does ride on 25's vs. 23's for the Roubaix. I'm still trying to wear out the Roubaix tires so I can put on some 25's. ;)

Mark G.

·
Registered
168 Posts
went w/ the roubaix

my wife was in need of her first road bike recently. we compared the sequoia elite with the base model (aluminum framed) roubaix. the geometries were painfully similar with the roubaix having a tighter rear triangle, slightly shorter headtube and slightly longer top tube. these differences are so minor that they can be made up for with a stem change. it came down to price and availability. we were able to find a roubaix frame quicker for a better price. now i'm looking to build it up with red velocity eurius wheels and campy components!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts