Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll preface this by saying I'm not the type of person who is cruel to animals. Having said that, I'd really like to kill a cat. I'm not going to... but I'd like to.

I inherited my wife's cat. He was her baby. He was born right next to her and she had him his entire life. He'll be 19 next month. He NEVER STOPS MEOWING. Well, he does. When he's sleeping or eating and just enough to counterpoint it and make it seem even worse than if he literally never stopped. This started about a year ago and has gotten progressively worse. He's been to the vet more than once. They say they can't find anything wrong with him or any signs that he's having pain. They claim he's remarkably healthy for his age (yay :frown2: ). He passed all of the tests for what are apparently the usual suspects.

All I know is, it's quite literally driving me nuts. It's not even his old meow which was a deep male cat meow, it's developed this annoying whiny tone that bores into my head. Even when he's sleeping, he'll randomly stand up, look at me, meow a bit, then curl up and go back to sleep. Like I said, I won't actually harm him. But it's reached the point where I find myself hoping his remaining time is very short.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
billy does not like cats.

me, i love them. though i've had a couple that were less than charming.

·
Schuylkill Trail Bum
5,144 Posts
I'll preface this by saying I'm not the type of person who is cruel to animals. Having said that, I'd really like to kill a cat. I'm not going to... but I'd like to.

I inherited my wife's cat. He was her baby. He was born right next to her and she had him his entire life. He'll be 19 next month. He NEVER STOPS MEOWING. Well, he does. When he's sleeping or eating and just enough to counterpoint it and make it seem even worse than if he literally never stopped. This started about a year ago and has gotten progressively worse. He's been to the vet more than once. They say they can't find anything wrong with him or any signs that he's having pain. They claim he's remarkably healthy for his age (yay :frown2: ). He passed all of the tests for what are apparently the usual suspects.

All I know is, it's quite literally driving me nuts. It's not even his old meow which was a deep male cat meow, it's developed this annoying whiny tone that bores into my head. Even when he's sleeping, he'll randomly stand up, look at me, meow a bit, then curl up and go back to sleep. Like I said, I won't actually harm him. But it's reached the point where I find myself hoping his remaining time is very short.
A friend of mine had an old cat that did that. The vet gave her valium for the cat. The cat got 2.5 mg of valium at each feeding. Works like a charm. Happy cat. Happy cat owner.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have anything against cats in general. I never had anything against this cat until this endless noise started. I still wouldn't do anything to harm him. And I won't get rid of him. I promised my wife that the girls and her cats would be okay. Just venting a little here because the cat doesn't understand if I vent at him.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A friend of mine had an old cat that did that. The vet gave her valium for the cat. The cat got 2.5 mg of valium at each feeding. Works like a charm. Happy cat. Happy cat owner.
I'll mention that to our vet. That wasn't offered as a solution but maybe he just didn't think of it.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
some cats are real needy, and meow to get attention. Can get annoying. Lucky here, our cats are not very noisy. One is a mischievous devil and loads of fun. The other is furry hot water bottle only wants to cuddle, which was good today after a colllllld rainy 2.5 hr bike ride. However the younger devilish cat wants to seriously kill the other cat, which might be an option if the older one gets annoying.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
19 is old. Sounds like some kind of feline dementia? Does that happen? Any other controls effected? Anxiety would explain it, like above with the Valium cure, I have been with cats my whole life, and lots and lots of them at points, and I've only seen this once, it was pure bred bengal and apparently a trait of the breed. As much as I love cats, that'd drive me crazy too. Very cool of you to hang in there with this. Not to sound cruel and I don't think I could do it, but did you ask if there is a surgical fix? If it's some kind of kitty anxiety secondary to dementia and it behaves like human dementia it might soon migrate to other functions and controls and make the old dudes time real short.

·
Master debator.
8,777 Posts
I have an excellent recipe for cat stew if you decide to go that route.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
I have an excellent recipe for cat stew if you decide to go that route.
I always thought cats were more of a stir-fry kind of thing.

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
Taxidermy... best of both worlds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
I think this is only half a solution. Get Valium for the cat AND for you. Everyone wins

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Maybe it's not the cat....just saying.
Have you given him sufficient love and attention :shifty
I think he gets plenty of attention. Maybe not as much as he was used to because my wife was usually home during the day and I'm at work/the kid is at school. But this started long before things happened and he was definitely getting the attention then.

·
Quiet, daddy's drinking
5,887 Posts
Had a cat that was nuts. As in had a consultation with a cat psychologist at the vet college at Iowa state university. Certifiably nuts. He and his tail hated each other. When the cat tried to go to sleep the tale would start to beat the crap out him. The cat would growl and bite the tail which only caused the tail to retaliate and beat him more. Anyway we tried out a few psychotropic medications and settled on two ground up in wet food. One was clonazapam. The other I can't remember. They worked wonders.

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,839 Posts
Cleaning cats can be therapeutic.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,288 Posts
But this started long before things happened and he was definitely getting the attention then.
Sounds like dementia to me, best guess. Cats are very aware of their territory in every detail, and if memory problems are present, that will put them into a constant state of distress. "Nothing is right, where is that toy? What happened to that rug I liked? Where's my person?"

Dementia, in early stages, tends to be a good day/bad day kind of thing. Did it start that way, or just go to 11 and stay there?

Does the cat respond to attention? In the moment? That would mean the cat is ok when his people say everything is ok. If so, then medication might help lower the anxiety is that is being triggered by memory issues. Worth a shot. I would try it for sure, before any other choices.

If the cat stops responding to attention in the moment, then consider what his life is like overall. It sounds like constant stress to me. Other than when sleeping, which is likely most of the time. But quality of life is something to think about, given things are likely to get worse not better over time.

The solution to most cat problems is another cat, but if it is dementia then likely not. Too hard to integrate a new one with that situation. The old cat might never remember that new cat lives there, and would always treat it as an invader.

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts