Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sky pulled him over concerns (internal testing) a year or so ago and now after a bad crash last year, they pull him again due to anomalies (internal testing) after training at altitude in Colombia.

So it sounds to me like they never figured out why his values were high last time and when his values came down they let him race again (when they pulled him out they said they were going to figure out why his values were high, I guess they never did). He got hurt and now has been training to come back and has elevated values again. I mean sure he could be a freak of nature or he could simply be doping.

Team Sky To Withdraw Sergio Henao Over Altitude Concerns | Bicycle.net

·
coaster
1,051 Posts
I live half the year at 10,000ft (riding 9,000-13,000) and half the year across the street from the beach riding seaside roads. I'm guessing my hematocrit level varies a lot. Have the doping control people not figured this out yet?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I live half the year at 10,000ft (riding 9,000-13,000) and half the year across the street from the beach riding seaside roads. I'm guessing my hematocrit level varies a lot. Have the doping control people not figured this out yet?
The only Columbian, huh?

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
you lucky bastid

·
Crank Addict
1,943 Posts
Sky pulled him over concerns (internal testing) a year or so ago and now after a bad crash last year, they pull him again due to anomalies (internal testing) after training at altitude in Colombia.

So it sounds to me like they never figured out why his values were high last time and when his values came down they let him race again (when they pulled him out they said they were going to figure out why his values were high, I guess they never did). He got hurt and now has been training to come back and has elevated values again. I mean sure he could be a freak of nature or he could simply be doping.

Team Sky To Withdraw Sergio Henao Over Altitude Concerns | Bicycle.net
The first time... Sky pulled him voluntarily because they saw something odd in his values.

This time, they pulled him voluntarily because the UCI has some questions about the same values, from the same period in time. Its my understanding, that Sky beleives his values are just skewed because of where he lives and trains and that's why they let him start racing again... but now, on further investigation, the UCI now has some questions. Sky could have allowed hi to continue racing if they wanted to. The UCI did not say he was doping or that he needed to be benched, Sky did it voluntarily.

I'm not saying he doped or didn't dope... I don't know. But I am please that Sky seems to be proactive about not racing anyone that even has the potential for something being off.

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
According to this article

The 2014 testing programme started in Europe, continued for six-weeks at altitude in Colombia and finished with final base-level tests in Nice. The findings were given to WADA, the UCI and CADF and that all urine tests are in the rider’s biological passport.

The team added at the time that the medical experts would look to publish a full medical paper, although this has not yet materialised.
2 years removed, and nothing yet

In the same article, Brailsford is quoted:

"The physiology of 'altitude natives' is a complex area,” Brailsford said in relation to today’s news.
First of all, I'm wondering what Brailsford meant by "altitude natives"? It's put in quotations, so it could mean anything he wants it to mean.

The science of temporary high altitude adaptation for normal humans when they go from lowland to highland is pretty well known already. The adaptation is that your blood haemoglobin increases at prolong high altitude. Surely, for a scientific minded team like Sky, and Brailsford, this is nothing new.

But the deeper question would be, does Sergio Henao have a native "genetic adaptation", and not just a temporary physiological adaptation?

When you google "high altitude adaptation in humans", google returns the highest hits concerning the Tibetans, then certain sub-groups of Andeans, and a little about Ethiopians.

Here's a quick wiki summary of these people

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-altitude_adaptation_in_humans

Notice that nothing is mentioned about Colombians. If you google high altitude adaption of Colombians, no rigorous reviews show up in the search. In fact, it seems like the only folks making a big deal about any potential magical adaptation of "native people" when it comes to the Colombians, is Sky. So, the scientific community has been unaware of such amazing Colombian native adaptation all this time, eh?

But even for those natives (Tibetans, certain native Andean groups, and certain Ethiopians) who are genetically adapted, 2 of these 3 (namely, the Andeans and Ehtiopians) lose their adaptation once the move to lowland. Only the Tibetans keep their adaptation when moving to lowland. It can be said that of the 3 genetically adapted peoples, the Tibetans have the highest form of adaptation.

Sergio Henao probably has more Spanish/European DNA in him than native Andean indians. Is this not apparent by his look? Does he have that high mongloid cheek bones? Let's do an analysis of Sergio's DNA, shall we?

I'm sorry captian Brailsford, but there is nothing magical about your native boy Henao. Whatever adaptation he has, any of the European guys can acquire it too. Please don't try to make it sound like a complex issue with your native people horseshit.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
If it was naturally occurring, one would think that Quintana would have the same BP issues.

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,933 Posts
In my opinion this is trying for the same implausible deniability as Contador's tainted meat, except team Sky has an entire University devoted to finding the perfect excuse of an explanation. The goal is to weaken the biological passport, and it seems they are succeeding...

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Ed Coyle, a physiologist of the University of Texas, said that Armstrong was the "greatest physiological specimen in the world" in his 2005 paper, published in the Journal of Applied Physiology.

http://jap.physiology.org/content/j...INDEX=0&sortspec=relevance&resourcetype=HWCIT

oh this is serious stuff,... that is,.. seriously fraudulent and no quality control science! I smell Sky and Brailsford conducting similarly trivial scientific horseshit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts