Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Do not touch the trim.
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The guy is currently in pink, has finished 6th and 2nd the last two years with inferior teams and nobody is giving him a chance. With the T-Mobile squad being decidedly stronger than his last few teams and his ability to hang in the mountains and out TT the climbers I'd put him in with a definite chance. Oh ya, Rubiera will finish higher than Danielson in the GC.

·
Banned
3,060 Posts
OnTheRivet said:
The guy is currently in pink, has finished 6th and 2nd the last two years with inferior teams and nobody is giving him a chance. With the T-Mobile squad being decidedly stronger than his last few teams and his ability to hang in the mountains and out TT the climbers I'd put him in with a definite chance. Oh ya, Rubiera will finish higher than Danielson in the GC.
It's early days in this tour my friend. The year's track favors the climbers. But how 'bout Jan hanging like a champ today? Not too shabby.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
OnTheRivet said:
He's old, down year last year, and there is only one TT this year rather than two.

However, he looks awful slim compared to year's past and he's clearly in good form, and like most Soviets he's tough as nails. Not out of the question he could get on the podium.

·
For president!
7,851 Posts
OnTheRivet said:
He would've been a smart guy to lay some money on before the Giro.
I bet odds were 25-1 or greater.

That being said, he'll likely get top 8, maybe top 5 or a podium spot if he's on super form. But as others have said, he's old and not a really good climber. My guess is that Savoldelli and Basso will outclimb him, and his time gains in the TT to those two will be next to nothing.

Silas

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Bianchigirl said:
Not bad going for a 36 year old who last took the Maglia Rosa 8 years ago...
Didn't Honchar have maglia rosa in 2003? Or maybe it was another ukrie, Popovych? I seem to recall that both were fighting over podium places, alongside Simoni and Garzelli that year.

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
No, he won't. Rubiera will be a good domestique for Salvodelli and blow himself up helping Il Falco get through the tough stages. Tommy will be told to ride on his own to protect his top-10, at some point.

At least, that's what I think...

·
Former Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
3,151 Posts
Cause how can you pick a man named Gonchar??

He is a dark horse. After the first mountain top finish, his stock might go up. He might turn into a white pony. Cause if you want to ride... ride the white horse.

fc

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
he's always been strong but I think

his age and this years parcourse will stop him from winning it all. As for TD, he won't ride on his own, he'll be the Roberto Heras to PS's LA. My guess is Danielson will be the last guy protecting Il Falco. (Unless PS blows and has no chance)

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
SilasCL said:
He would've been a smart guy to lay some money on before the Giro.
I bet odds were 25-1 or greater.

That being said, he'll likely get top 8, maybe top 5 or a podium spot if he's on super form. But as others have said, he's old and not a really good climber. My guess is that Savoldelli and Basso will outclimb him, and his time gains in the TT to those two will be next to nothing.

Silas
Honchar is doing 15-1 on some euro betting site tonight, you could still drag some cash from this. ;)

G

·
atpjunkie said:
...As for TD, he won't ride on his own, he'll be the Roberto Heras to PS's LA. My guess is Danielson will be the last guy protecting Il Falco. (Unless PS blows and has no chance)
Yeah, I hope TD is willing to bury for Savoldelli, he deserves it.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
55x11 said:
Didn't Honchar have maglia rosa in 2003? Or maybe it was another ukrie, Popovych? I seem to recall that both were fighting over podium places, alongside Simoni and Garzelli that year.
I guess not. He won ITT in 2004 but was 0.03 seconds behind Popovych in GC for a few days.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.