Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry Lance... I know cancer is a very serious issue facing millions of people worldwide and we should be doing everything within our power to bring attention to this scourge and help find a cure.

Still.. it was too funny to pass up. I saw this today while I was on the road.

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,086 Posts
I just have to assume it was named for the zodiac sign and not the disease. Pretty stuff though. Same reason chevy had to change the name of the NOVA in spanish speaking countries. Didn't translate well.

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,086 Posts
jorgy said:
That's an urban myth based on the presumption Spanish speakers are idiots. [They're not.]

http://www.snopes.com/business/misxlate/nova.asp

Pretty big assumption that I assume Spanish speakers are idiots. Thanks for clearing up the urban myth I had heard from my Spanish teacher in high school who was born and raised in Mexico I appreciate that.
As for why it might be name for the Zodiac sign, there is a small emblem on the top tube that looks somewhat like the "Cancer" zodiac symbol, but again it is a pretty big assumption of MINE this time.

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I am sure there's a whole line of cheap steel frames with names like: Capricorn, Scorpio, Aries, Aquarius, Leo, Sagitarius... I'm sure the concept seemed pretty cool in the meeting.

·
haole from the mainland
5,966 Posts
jupiterrn said:
Pretty big assumption that I assume Spanish speakers are idiots. Thanks for clearing up the urban myth I had heard from my Spanish teacher in high school who was born and raised in Mexico I appreciate that.
Well, that is the original assumption that got the myth going.

Your Spanish teacher was from Mexico? Yep, s/he must be the authority on urban myths related to Mexico, just like my science teacher who had us try and balance eggs on the equinox. :rolleyes:

What percentage of Americans are gullible to urban myths? It's probably pretty similar in Mexico...

·
For president!
7,851 Posts
jupiterrn said:
As for why it might be name for the Zodiac sign, there is a small emblem on the top tube that looks somewhat like the "Cancer" zodiac symbol, but again it is a pretty big assumption of MINE this time.
I think this is some kind of job requirement for high school spanish teachers, I heard it from two different ones.

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
SilasCL said:
I think this is some kind of job requirement for high school spanish teachers, I heard it from two different ones.
Maybe that is why it is part of an urban legend. This topic just came up at work the other day, and a coworker from Argentina just laughed about how ridiculous the claim is.

·
Banned
7,191 Posts
barbedwire said:
The more you breathe, the greater your chance of survival period. Breathing, in and of itself, does not increase the risk of cancer as does drug usage.
Breathing =living longer=greater risk of being exposed to carcinogens=greater risk of cancer.

Not breathing=dead=no risk of exposure to carcinogens=no risk of cancer.

Anything that prolongs life increases your risk of being exposed to something that might cause cancer.

If you want to minimize your risks, Yer best bet is to do what the mayflys do- live to sexual maturity, reproduce and die.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.