Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
fellas I spent last year on an allez elite, nice enough bike. I avg 65 miles a week. Love to ride and its a nice break from the gym/treadmill. I have a fella offering me a bike in trade for a guitar that I'm no longer playing. seems like a good deal but I not know much about this set up. The old guy bought it new, and last year decided to break it down and rebuild it for century rides.
will y'all take a look at this email from him and tell me know what y'all think.
I have zero plans to race, mainly ride solo or with my wife. would like to sign up for a group ride at some point.

I'll copy/paste what I know about the bike. its getting a tune up right now and he should have it back before the weekend. He isnt local so I cant ride it. here goes.

The frame / fork is a 56cm 1983 Columbus SL Nova; it has a Cinelli BB. It is in very good condition. It is comfortable, quick and precise handling. I don't know if you
ever rode a great steel frame...but they are very comfortable on a long ride. The wheels are Mavic, made by Wheelsmith....they are almost new...don't know which model
but will confirm. It has a Record headset, 170 Record Crankset (Triple), Record bottom bracket, Chorus brakes, Chorus derailleurs, The stem is an H2O that I I had installed
to add some hight but also have a Deda that is the original that I can send. I believe the handlebar is Deda as well. Tires are new Continentals. It is really an awesome bike.
The components are top notch...you can always build a new bike frame out some day and still be ahead of the game. Expect to get it back by the weekend if not sooner...so I can send
pix.

so, what do you think? would you expect this to be a good/great ride?

kirk

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
The only comment I'll make is that the idea of steel being more or less "comfortable" than any other material depends entirely on the overall geometry of the bike, the way it fits you, contact points (saddle, handlebars) and tires. And yes, I own steel, carbon fiber and aluminum. They are all comfortable if you get your saddle, handlebars and overall fit settled.... and can hugely change based on tires.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm with ya. I plan on getting it set up for me if I decided to get it.

I'm just tryin to figure out if the frame and components are quality.

Does it sound like 800 bucks?

·
Registered
9,173 Posts
It sounds like a nice bike.
Are the components of the same period, or are they newer, indexed components? Either way Campy's good stuff.

Have you posted at the Serotta forum? Someone over there should be able to give you some answers.
As for myself, an older Serotta has always been on my want list and if it was in my size, and I had the money, I'd give it a real look.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's all new stuff. He did the rebuild last year. Vintage frame with modern mechanics I'm thinking.

I guess I'm trying to figure out if this is a good value compared to what sub $1000 would buy brand new.

Personal I like the idea of blending old and new. And I really don't give a damn what any of the locals guys think. Just trying not to waste money or pass up a good deal.

·
Registered
9,173 Posts
It's all new stuff. He did the rebuild last year. Vintage frame with modern mechanics I'm thinking.

I guess I'm trying to figure out if this is a good value compared to what sub $1000 would buy brand new.

Personal I like the idea of blending old and new. And I really don't give a damn what any of the locals guys think. Just trying not to waste money or pass up a good deal.
You ain't gonna get that level of Campagnolo components on a new sub $1000 bike. Like I said if I was shopping and it was my size I'd be talking to the dude.

·
Boobies!
8,173 Posts
AFAIK, the Nova was the Serotta 'off the peg' bike--built with stock geometry and not customized for any individual.

All the Serotta experts are over on a Forum called the ThePaceline--here's a thread that talks about the Nova...

By the early '80s you have the elements of a modern bike--and there is very little that you could buy for under $1000 that would be as good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.